We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish Tacos

Lake Stevens, WA
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fish Tacos

We are leaving in a few days and I am craving good fish tacos. My favorites so far on Maui are from Coconut's Fish Cafe. I read a thread from 2012 but am looking for recent suggestions.

I know everyone has different tastes but I am willing to try anything from food trucks to "nice" resturants. Where are your favorite fish tacos on or any that you did not care for? I do not want to miss out in case there is a small eatery that is hidden sometimes they are the best!

Only a few more days till paradise! I better start packing.

Thank you!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish Tacos

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I love the fish tacos from "Da Crack" here on the South Shore, on Po'ipu Road across from the fire station.

I go there once a week for dinner (hey, that's tonite!) and one of my "regular" orders is their fish tacos....fresh fish, and you have a choice of either chipotle or wasabi cream sauce.

Inexpensive and large portions.....I only order these when I am really hungry!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,494 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish Tacos

I like Duke's fish tacos, in the Barefoot Bar, the fish is grilled. They also do a special Happy Hour on Tuesdays 4-6pm with $3.00 fish tacos.

http://www.dukeskauai.com/events

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 11 August 2013, 04:10
California
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish Tacos

http://monicostaqueria.com/ Monico's Taqueria has the best fish tacos I've ever had. Pat's, a food truck down by Hanalei pier is pretty good, too.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish Tacos

I second the tacos at "da crack' not only are they delicious...they are big....great value.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish Tacos

Agree with 3chis. I love the fish tacos at Dukes and they are always my last meal just before we head to the airport. They don't ease the pain of leaving but they're good just the same.

Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish Tacos

Hanalei Gourmet has yummy fish tacos on Thursday nights.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish Tacos

We find very good fish tacos, after our hikes, at the Olympic Cafe, Kapa'a.....all different kinds with beans and trimmings.Hard for me to finish the plate. Lots of food.

Also, they have excellent fish tacos at Kalapali Joes in Lihue. Many different choices, the fish tacos are on happy hour special.

These are fun places, that are patronized by locals and visitors.

Also , Kalapaki Joes has chicken wings ( Happy hour ) for 25 cents each.Other pu'pu's are reduced in price and some of them are enough for dinner.

We find that the taco trucks seem to be either going out of business, have hours that who knows wihen they will be there , or are no longer at their previous locations. Happens a lot.

Oh, at Dukes Canoe Club, they have TACO TUESDAY....tacos are OK, but what they do is give you one huge hunk of fish taco, and have HH specials. 4pm.Also at dukes, reg. menu, they have a very unique KOREAN STREET TACOS..... good stuff.

Well, there are some additional rcommendations. Enjoy .

Middletown...
Level Contributor
858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish Tacos

My top 4 in order:

- Monico's Taqueria

- Da Crack

- Fish Express in Lihue (pretty sure I remember them having tacos there, but everything is so yummy)

- Kilauea Fish Market - a little on the pricey side, but real good

North Shore: I think Tropical Taco in Hanalei has gone down hill a bit, or maybe I just have become more tuned into the other places that make better fish tacos. Also worth trying is Frederico's mexican place in Princeville shopping center. Always fresh and a favorite when we are nearby.

California
Level Contributor
36,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish Tacos

Tropical Tacos is OFF my list after getting such bad food poisoning I couldn't move for 2 days.

I am not a huge fish taco fan but recently I tried them at Hanalei Dolphin and was sold. A few weeks ago I had the fish tacos at Hanalei Taro Juice Co and they were pretty darn good especially with Wishing Well Shave Ice after which is right next to it. Everything tastes better followed by Wishing Well.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish Tacos

Wow Joan! We stopped at Tropical Taco 2 years ago due to convenience when Pat's by the pier was not open. We were disappointed since we remembered it being much better, but I guess we should count ourselves lucky for not getting sick :-( My SIL and husband stayed with us for a week this Spring, their first time to Kauai. They were out one day on their own and stopped at Tropical Taco (I never would have recommended it to them) and reported it as "meh" and "unimpressed". Surprising since they are the furthest from food connoisseurs on the planet. Got takeout from Monico's later in the week and they were very happy (so were we).