We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shop for Rental Cars

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Shop for Rental Cars

I am taking a last minute trip to Kauai next week to attend a funeral and shopped for rental cars today. Boy what a shock when I saw the rates. I went on Priceline and Costco, Orbitz and Hawaiian Air's site. I finally booked Costco(that was the best rate of all) just to have something and it was $373 for a compact for 5 days. I put a request in with Discount Hawaii Rental Cars and just got a confirmation back and the same exact car for the same exact dates and times and even company (Alamo). Through this site is was $178.02 including taxes etc.

So my point again is shop around. Book something but keep looking.

Cancel any old reservations but print everything and bring it with you in case there's a mixup. That money I am saving is a nice meal at the new Poipu Tapa's restaurant.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

jebett: make sure you try Island Air's website too. Their Budget code can be much, much lower than even Hotwire, but only for Economy-Full cars, no specialties.

$119/week + taxes for an economy in mid-July. I've tried three times but Discount Hawaii Rental Cars has never offered the best rate, although they are a class act.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

I am hoping the rates go down for my Christmas / New Year trip.

At the moment I have a reservation with Dollar and it is $821 for a compact for 18 days YIKES. Alamo through Costco is over $1000 (double YIKES).

I even tried Discount Hawaii Rental and they were more expensive than Dollar.

I check every week, but the rates are not changing. I know that Xmas and New Year is a busy and expensive time, but this is really sticker shock!!

NM
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

I just tried island air and the cheapest car they had for mid july was $212 $256 with tax :(

NM
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

Never mind I found the one you were talking about; Thanks for the info! :)

Central California
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

Thank you for the Island Air tip, I'm arriving July 8th and had reserved for 5 days through Discount Hawaii Car Rental for 135 +tax for an economy. Budget through Island Air gave me the same price for an intermediate or 117 +tax for economy. I took the upgrade!

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

<<I've tried three times but Discount Hawaii Rental Cars has never offered the best rate, although they are a class act.>>

Hi! Is Island Air the same thing (in terms of concept and "class act") as Discount Hawaii Rental? I have a reservation through them with Alamo for $210 for a compact (1 week in August). I'm wondering if I can find something lower through Island Air?

At the time I booked my reservation, Discount Hawaii Rental (aka Aloha Rents) was the lowest that I had found, cheaper than Costco. My search did not bring up Island Air.

(As a PS: About a month back, I posted a thread asking about the legitimacy of Discount Hawaii Rentals.. from responses and my own research, it was legit and I felt comfortable going with them.) So just checking up to see if Island Air has the same good reputation?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

I had checked Island Air, Hawaiian and a few other companies in my data bank and Island Air had no cars available for my 5 days.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

I don't know your days, but just plugged in 5 days next week for hotwire and got $209 and that is w/tax. Not bad, but not as good as you got. It always pays to shop around. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

I just booked cars in Kauai (7 days) and Maui (5 days) for mid August through Priceline Name your own price. I checked hotwire first then started bidding at about a 30% discount to the lowest hotiwre price. On each island my bid of $18 per day for a standard was accepted by Alamo (and was a lot less than the best Alamo price that I had already reserved!)

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shop for Rental Cars

Great advice to keep shopping around on rental prices Jebett. They tend to vary quiet a bit in price. Hope your plans are set; sorry for the circumstances...condolences. Glad you're able to make that important trip.

Caddy