We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to hike through a bamboo forest

NM
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Topic
where to hike through a bamboo forest

We did a trail on Maui 3 years ago where we hiked through a bamboo forest and just loved it. Are there any hikes in bamboo forests on Kauai? Thanks!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The upper level trail areas of Nounou Mtn. (Sleeping Giant) do indeed go through a bamboo forest - it is quite a decent hike, but very beautiful and the "singing" of the bamboo as it rubs against each other is so lovely!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

Nice userpic, islandshell--I'm partial to hike-in waterfalls myself.

There is a bamboo grove on the western slope of Nounou, on the trail that connects the West trailhead (on Kamalu Rd) with the Kuamoo trailhead (on Kuamoo Rd). From Kuamoo trailhead, hike along the pasture, across the bridge, up through the forest, past the picnic shelter, and down to the bamboo (maybe 1 mile altogether). It's about 1.25 miles from the other side, but less interesting. However, it's just a large "clump" of bamboo 20 feet across, you can't really get into it because it's so dense. I don't know of any bamboo further up the mountain.

The best place where you can really walk through an extensive forest of bamboo is on the Makaleha hike. Go to the trailhead at the end of Kahuna Rd, walk past the water tank, through the muddy forest, along the stream, until you get to a stream crossing at a broken cement dam. Usually you can cross mostly dry on the rocks. Do not cross if the water is brown or flowing higher than the rocks to cross on. The bamboo forest starts a little ways on the other side and goes on for 1/4 mile at least, with some areas being denser than others. The bamboo forest and the good trail end when it reaches the river again. When my daughter was younger, we told her that Pandas eat bamboo, and she always asked us if there were pandas in that forest.

There is also a grove of striped bamboo at Allerton gardens near Poipu. The trail doesn't go through it, but they'll let you walk around in it.

NM
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

Thanks experts! We plan to hike to Hanakapa'i falls is there bamboo on the last two miles of that hike? We did the first two miles to the beach 4 years ago.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

It's been 20 years since I hiked into Hanakapiai Falls, but I remember the huge bamboo and have photos of myself in the Bamboo, so if it's the same as it was back then, you'll be hiking through bamboo, and also coffee and ti plants.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

I like the bamboo section along the Hanalei River hike. There's a geocache that's been there 4 years.

www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx…

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

There is indeed still a great deal of bamboo on the hike to Hanakapiai Falls, especially the first part of the trail after you leave the beach.

Edited: 19 June 2010, 08:48
7. Re: where to hike through a bamboo forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2010, 16:18