We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days - what to do and see

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 days - what to do and see

hi,

my fiance and i want to stay in Kauai for two days. do you think it is enough time? we are interested in the huge hiking trail. :)

which area should we stay? do you think it is a good idea to do priceline? do we need a car in Kauai?

thanks for any input.

p.s. this will be one stop of the many in hawaii. i feel like i am running on low energy. :(

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days - what to do and see

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Wow -- only 2 days? Personally I'd say that is not enough time to see the island -- you could really only get glimpses of the main things to see -- not enough time to really enjoy it (again IMO).

Kalalau Trail is probably the "huge hiking trail" that you are talking about -- there are threads just about this on the board, but in short, right now it is closed due to maintenance at the 6 mile mark -- but you probably would only be doing the 2 mile Hanakapiai Beach part if you are here for such a short time anyway. It is located on the extreme North Shore of the island -- if you want to hike part of it you should allow yourself at least half a day just for the hike.

Yes, you definitely need a car here -- our public transportation is very limited and not really intended for visitor use.

I live on the south shore -- it is considered the "sunny side" of the island -- it is also a very popular visitor destination area -- lots of condos, hotels, etc. to stay at. Only downside is the massive amount of construction going on -- if you do want to stay here I'd recommend staying east of Po'ipu Beach Park. We also have swimmable beaches here and a lovely beach park.

The east side is more central to everything, but doesn't have the swimmable beaches (except for Lydgate Beach Park and Kalapaki Beach) that the south shore does. Lots of traffic also in this area. Many places to stay at - condos, hotels, etc.

The North Shore -- very lush and green -- also the "rainy" side of the island -- if you want to hike part of the Kalalau Trail and only have 2 days, this would probably be a good area to stay in. It is pretty far removed from other areas of the island however.

The West Side -- the driest and most sunny part of the island. Also the least developed for visitors. Lots of houses to rent though and Waimea Plantation Cottages. Far removed from most things except for Waimea Canyon/Koke'e Park and Polihale State Park.

Maybe someone else can help you out with Priceline -- I dont' know anything about it I'm afraid.

In a nutshell, I'd definitely try for a longer stay to see the island properly -- if however you only have 2 days, I'd stay somewhere pretty central (East Side) and rent a car -- you could do the North Shore one day and the South - West side the next.

Hope this helps at all!

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days - what to do and see

I hate to sound negative, but running from island to island with 2 days in each sounds like a recipe for a vacation you'll need a vacation to recover from. Why not pick one or two islands and actually have time to unpack and enjoy yourself? Do you really want to spend 2 days rushing around in a car instead of playing in the pool/ocean? You'll 1/2 a day min on each interisland transfer.

I personally don't care for the Kalalau trail that much. The first 2 miles isn't as scenic as some of the Kokee hikes and can be crowded. I've never been past Hanakapia (need permits and end up camping out) so can't really comment on those areas.

I'd skip Oahu unless you are keen to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial. The shopping isn't as good as NYC (nor the nightlife). the Big Island is cool because you can go to Volcanoes National Park. Kauai is the lushest with many good beaches. Maui has more upscale dining and nightlife. molokai/lanai are very thinly populated and are best if you wish to see what Hawaii was like 50 years ago.

Priceline is fine. No car on Kauai? That's fine if you don't plan to leave your hotel. otherwise, best to have one.

3. Re: 2 days - what to do and see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 10:19