We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

Ok, it money isn't an object, where do we stay? Beach is important, but not a deal breaker. I can stay in a golf/ocean view room at the Four Seasons with 6 spa sessions for 625 per night. I can do the gold floor oceanfront at the Fairmont for about the same and the Mauna Lani oceanfront for about the same....Help! Can NOT make up my mind. Is the four seasons worth it? I admit to being fairly spoiled, but I don't need to be sprayed with evian at the pool; I'm not that spoiled. But, I want clean, good service and a nice experience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

DO you care about snorkeling? Mauna Lani has weonderful snorkeling at the ebach club beach and interesting if subtle snorkeling in the lagoon right at the hotel (triggerfish, turtles, etc.).

Also ocean view is important to me....to sit there and drink coffee or whatever in morning and at sunset. Mauna Lani oceanfront is great for that.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 03:42
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

I live part time in the Mauna Lani area. Just left yesterday. Heard from many locals that the Four Sesons will not be completely open for at least one year due to the tsunami damage. As such...I would likely avoid that...you just never know what you are going to get (what will be open and what will be closed.)

you can't go wrong with either the Mauna Lani or the Fairmont to tell you the truth. As Honu_Ohana said...the beach club is second to none!

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

I had no idea about the damage at the four seasons until reading posts today. I swear by tripadvisor for my accomodations and many other pieces of advice. Something has been pulling at me to go to Mauna Lani and I think I may have just made up my mind...

Canada
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

swinkels....Do you mean to reference KVR as having an extended closure.....rather than The Four Seasons Hualalai...that is expected to re-open the end of this month (April 30th/11)?

To the OP, ....be sure to contact the Hotel for the most up to date and accurate info.

http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/

Edited: 05 April 2011, 06:08
5. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 20:46
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

KVR does indeed have extended closure...but according to all of the locals I spoke to does the Four Seasons. They are officially saying that all will be good April 30th...however that is official talk and is not the talk on the island.

Having a home on the island, I have to say that I don't see April 30th as possible either. With how long it takes to get good quality materials shipped to the island and all...April 30th is a very slim possibility. Heck, I'm still waiting for items that I ordered at the end of January. Island time does exist.

With that said...one can always call the property to check...but I would personally not be booking there untill I hear posts from people who have returned from there once it supposedly re-opens April 30th.

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

I am supposed to check in on May 17th for 5 nights. We are coming from a business trip on Maui at the Grand Wailea. It is our 25th wedding anniversary in July, so we were looking to add the days on the big island after the business trip ourselves and do something special. I just have a hard time deciding between the two. Any other suggestions would be great. I almost feel like the tsunami may have taken the four seasons off the table. I had no idea it was that bad; I feel terrible for the KVR and all residents affected...all we hear on the mainland is about Japan! I seriously did not know any damage had been done on Hawaii.

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

Ok, so now, Mauna Lani or Fairmont Orchid? I can get Gold floor at the Orchid for approx. the same price as the Mauni Lani, all ocean front rooms. Help! Can not decide between the two.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

I think Mauna Lani has a more serene atmosphere, the ponds area is a real plus, plus the blufftop walks south of the point. You are right there at the great snorkeling at the beach club beach. That said, some people prefer the fancier pool at the Orchid and the somewhat fancier decor there. We like to eat at Brown's at the Orchid and walk thru there almost daily on our walks/runs but prefer the shoreline area at ML and ML in general.

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Four Seasons???

Thank you for the input. I have read that people feel that the Orchid rooms need renovating. Any insights on that? I do like the option of the gold floor for drinks, hors d'oeuvres etc. and can get that at the same price as the Mauna Lani. However, I hear that almost everything is included at the ML and not at the Orchid. I want a nice beach area if the pool isn't great, or if the beach isn't great, a nice pool. This is tough. I usually make fast decisions, and this one has been the most difficult I've made in a long time!

We are a bit spoiled, and have been to lovely places fortunately; I get the sense that each of these is very nice. I want quiet, romantic and clean. I want great service, decent food and some atmosphere. So tough to choose