We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 21:47
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

1. No worries, there's public parking for the Lookout, all public. Thanks for asking.

2. Call Thrifty local desk here and ask.

3. Sorry, don't know, someone should though.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Thanks KK for your breif but helpful answers! Much appreciated! I'm so glad to hear the lookout is public. Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Don't worry about the cruise control, you won't be able to use it here. Patz Pies is still there, however, you might want to check out Bianelli's in the shopping center just above your condo. It just reopened after a six year hiatus and their pizza is is better than anything else on the island.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Charlotte,

Yeah, the Waipio lookout area is just a very short walk from the free public parking area (Which is overseen by an Officer/Ranger type person) Totally accessible, Porta- potty nearby, slightly steep approach to level viewing area...

Basically the Economy is slightly smaller than the Compact:

www.thrifty.com/OurCars.aspx?flash=true

Both should have Trunks. Usually for those categories the rental companies offer Base models which may not have Cruise Control. If you are familiar with Vehicle branding and features, when you arrive to pick-up your vehicle...ask the agent what type of vehicles they have available presently for your category. They usually will give you a choice , if one strikes you as more desirable than the other. Some folks are particular....others not so much. We like Alamo or National that allows you to go into the lot and pick which one you like.

Here is the number for the Local desks at KOA

hawaii.gov/koa/…car-rentals

Patz Pies is indeed still there.(81-6596 Mamalahoa Hwy in Kealakekua ....set your GPS)Amazing stuff. We were just there last week.Ph (808) 323-8100

Pat (the Owner) is an extremely friendly guy and talented cook. He hails from the East Mainland coast, I believe......where that terrific New York style of Pizza of his originated. Super fresh dough, sauce and toppings......and served with such Aloha. never had a bad slice. Those pizzas of his just fly out of that little take-out window...I don't know how he keeps up.

If you ask him , his story.I am sure he would share.....really friendly guy and always very appreciative of the return Business.

Edited: 05 March 2011, 07:07
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

typicallytropical:

Thank you for your suggestion. We'll have to add Bianelli's to our list of restaurants to visit.

Wanderlust-For-2:

Thank you so much for your response. I just got a kick out of Pat and his A-tracks. He once offered us free pizza if we could find him some more A-tracks. Good to hear he's open for business, he'll be our fist stop once we land in Kona. Also, thank you for the link to the local desk - how very helpful!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Hi Charlotte,

looks like you're all taken care of. I want to let you know that my replies were unusually curt because I literally had less than a minute to be out the door for an appointment, and I did want to let you know that you'd be fine with Waipi'o.

Nothing to do with your question that made me answer that way, just the lack of time to say more.

You are making me want a piece of Patz!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

Oh Charlotte.......I am charmed by your response about Pat's love of the "Back in the day Music".....But with your response..I truly now know how OLD I am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape

He really will offer you a free slice or discount I believe on a whole pie, if you bring him one in. He might be tiring of the Led Zepplin that plays 24/7. But somehow , I don't think so.

Have a great trip..May is a wonderful time to visit the BIg Island.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

KamaainaK:

Thank you for re-posting. I didn't harbor any negativity to your response. Though, I always learn something new from your long paragraphs of replies :o)

Really, thank you for your answers. Very straight to the point, but incredibly helpful.

Wanderlust-For-2:

Ohh 8-Track tapes, not A.... my mistake ;o)

I should see if I can come up with one to bring to Pat! My companion would love Patz Pie pizzas for every meal!

9. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 21:42
Canada
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipio Valley Lookout, Rental Car & Patz Pie Inquiry

So, Charlotte...that Map link is incorrect and indeed confusing if one is unfamiliar with the area. Waipi'o is indeed located on the North East section of the Island...not at all where that link has it pinned.(I have sent in a correction report to TA)

Hawi, where your Zipline is based...however is still a bit of a drive to Waip'o Valley about a 1 hr and 20min drive one way. We usually visit that area when we are spending time East side. I recall you saying that you are staying rather South ..as well at Kona Coast Resort. It is doable certainly...but seems like a bit of a back track.

Boy , that trip of yours is just around the corner....exciting....!!