We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceine vs. discount car rentals

Surprise, AZ
Level Contributor
163 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Priceine vs. discount car rentals

I need a rental for 15 days in June, picking up and dropping off at KOA. The quote from discount is $310 base rate, with all taxes and fees $467. That comes out to just under $21/day.

I've seen others with winning bids from KOA for $15/day or so. I'm thinking that might not include the additional driver (spouse), in which case it may not really be much lower. Is that the case?

The other option is that I've got enough miles on my rewards card to get the rental for free. I kind of hate to do that though, since I could use them for something more expensive (like a RT ticket to Hawaii at some point, which may be $900 or so) down the road. If you use reward miles to book a car, do you still have to pay all the taxes/fees anyway? In that case I definitely don't want to use reward miles.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

I booked through Priceline with a bid of $15 per day and after all the taxes it works out to be $25.39 per day.......Based on your total of $467. it works out to $31.13 per day......so basically you will be paying $5.74 more per day for the additional driver - or $86.10 more for the entire 15 days......it may be worth it to you, but I can think of a lot more things I could use that 86 bucks for........

I wouldn't waste my miles on a car rental, they will go a lot further on future airfare......

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

With Priceline NYOP or Hotwire (see the FAQ's before you bid) - you get what you paid for and you pay up-front. A car for one driver - no extra perks or FF miles or free upgrades, etc. No changes allowed. Also, free loyalty programs like Alamo Quicksilver or Hertz # 1 Club (where you get an additional driver at no charge) do not apply. It's in the FAQ's. If you want to add an additional driver, you will need to do that with whatever rental company you end up with when you pick up the car. That rate can be $9.00 - $13.00 extra per day.

The rentals are also calculated on 24 hours. Say pick-up on Friday at 9:00 am and drop-off on Saturday at 12:00 noon, it is considered a TWO-DAY rental with all the associated taxes and fees. Again, in the FAQ's.

Priceline NYOP is fine so long as you know how it works. I've used it for airfare, but not car rental - we both drive when on Kauai and will not risk violating the contract (ticket or accident) by not adding the additional driver.

Costco, http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ and http://www.hawaiidrive-o.com/ do not charge for the additional (spouse) driver. They offer great rates and no up-front money or cc to reserve a car. Change or cancel at any time. They work with all the major rental companies.

3Chihuahuas

oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

I always use Costco. They seem to have really good prices, and I like getting the 2nd driver for $0. Alamo seems to have the lowest rates.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

Try Avis @ KOA, using the Hawaiian Airlines codes (K816401). I am showing $263 for an economy car, plus taxes, total $424 for 15 days. You can always cancel. This is a little less but no prepayment.

As mentioned, Alamo/Costco with coupons, is usually a good bet. Sometimes, a REALLY good bet.

My rental this year was with Hertz; try using the United code or any applicable airline. The Hertz site usually offers some coupon codes as well.

Also, depending upon how (in)convenient, try booking off airport to save the $4.50/day airport surcharge. This might not work if it costs you too much for a taxi. Hertz will sometimes allow oneway rentals with no surcharge; ie pickup @ Waikoloa, drop off @ KOA.

You could try a one day/one way rental; then a two week off airport, back to airport rental. Might work out cheaper for not too much effort. This worked for my 3 week rental; saved about $100.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

www.hawaiidrive-o.com/

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

We used Priceline on our last Maui trip. We got Budget, which included a spouse additional driver. Non-spouse would have had to pay. We were very happy with Priceline which saved us 40% from the costco pricing.

Surprise, AZ
Level Contributor
163 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

Do you have to specify that the spouse is included when you bid, or is it just automatic? I don't want to bid and then end up having to pay extra for a spouse.

8. Re: Priceine vs. discount car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2012, 17:16