We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Topic
Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

Hi there -

We need to re-book our Costco trip to the BI due to the prices going WAY down since when we first booked. We will save up to $500 off the original package preice we paid if we re-book.

I know that the Hilton Waikoloa is not everyone's favorite on these boards, but I do need some help. We are certain that the Hilton is where we want to stay. When I re-book I have the following options:

Garden View - either Ocean or Palace tower (won't know which until check-in)

Partial Ocean View - either Ocean or Palace tower (won't know which until check-in) About $50 more than pkg base price

Ocaean View Deluxe - either Ocean or Palace tower (won't know which until check-in) About $150 more than pkg base price

or

Lagoon Tower - Garden View - aboout $75 more than pkg base price

Lagoon Tower - Partial Ocean View - about $90 more than pkg base price

Lagoon Tower - Deluxe Ocean View - about $225 more than pkg base price

I read through at least a dozen posts on the subject, and they are relly split on which is the best tower.

Here's more about what we are looking for. We are 27 and 34, going to the BI in Sept this year for 1 week and then flying to Maui for 2 weeks, where we will be getting married. We are doing the BI first, by ourselves, and will have about 30 people waiting for us on Maui and will be staying there in a garden view condo.

We really wanted to have a nice ocean view, close enough that we could potentially hear the ocean at night. We don't mind lots of kids, but would prefer a quiter atmosphere (at least in the tower itself - we expect the pools to be a kid-zoo) and we know how long all of the walks are.

So what would you pick if you were me??

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

Well, I haven't stayed IN the towers but I did walk the property three days ago, so this is FWIW.

As you know by now, the Lagoon Tower is near the big kid's pool. I would want to be oceanside in that one, definitely not garden view.

Clearly the Deluxe Oceanview at the Lagoon Tower is the best option there, and would be more on the ocean than the Ocean tower, which is on the shoreline, but more inland due to the lagoon inlet.

The Palace Tower is the most inland. As far as distance walking in, the difference between it and Ocean is negligible to me. In September, be aware it is hot and humid, so at that time I would want a lanai facing ocean, not on the lagoon or mauka side -- to get the sea breezes.

September is also very low season, so unless they have a huge convention, there should be enough availability that you could negotiate an upgrade when you arrive.

I think I would plan to do that. Instead of just going to the assigned room, I would right away ask about what it would cost to get a Deluxe Ocean View. I would leave my bags at the desk and go check out the possibilities. Sure it might take an hour (or two) but worth it to get what you want.

I would probably book in the middle category, hoping the upgrade to the best will be less on property. If they're really empty, it might even be automatic, but I'd never count on that.

As for the $50 for partial oceanview, I wouldn't hesitate to go for that. This trip will cost you a lot and it's your wedding, so why skimp. If you get partial oceanview, it's only one category upgrade to get deluxe. If you get garden, two categories ... I would improve my chances.

That would be my strategy. Whether it's the best, I can't say, let's see what prior Hilton guests have to say.

btw, the mountain views to the north are lovely, so say you're on the north side of the Ocean tower, I would think partial ocean view would be pretty nice. Would I want to be looking inward into the resort, as a couple, no, I would not.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

arghh,

I got turned around on the Lagoon Tower in reference to the pool. I spent this walking tour on all the rest of the property excluding going to the Lagoon tower.

Have you seen the resort map?

hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/pdf/HiltonMap_6_08…

I would, for a pre-honeymoon, prefer the Ocean tower, towards the ocean in the front circle, or facing out of the resort, but I defer to those who have been up in the towers. That's my impression from the ground layout.

I like the Ocean tower area; it has a nice pool and jacuzzi area, and it's quiet, although I wouldn't want to be over the Boat Landing Pavilion, as they play the music kind of loud through the PA, loud and distorted, I wouldn't want to be hearing it in my room.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

Ive stayed in both the Ocean and the Palace. No desire for the Lagoon. Ocean is the furthest from the front desk, has its own pools (one inside the center of the tower and one on the outside towards the Lagoon area) that are MUCH less crowded with kids. There are lovely hammocks on the lawns near the ocean that are just heavenly to snuggle on during the evening (just be forewarned... the sprinklers come on at 11pm... not a pleasant surprise if you are all cozy on the hammock and get blasted with cold sprinkler water! Lesson learned the hard way!)

Its definitely a hike to the Ocean Tower to the parking lot or front desk, but that is part of what makes it much more "secluded"... most other tower guests don't venture over that way much.

Also, both the Palace Tower and the Lagoon tower have these really LOUD birds that carry on for a good hour at dinner time, and again as the sun comes up. Its really LOUD. I didn't notice them at all at the Ocean tower.

If the walk is not a problem, then I would definitely say Ocean, Ocean, Ocean!!!!!

PS- don't listen to the naysayers... the property is lovely, you will enjoy it there!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

Thanks KK - you have answered a few other questions of mine over the years, and you've always been spot-on.

The only problem is I can select the Lagoon tower or take my chances with the Palace/Ocean tower choice. I won't know which of those towers I'm assigned to until check in. I know Sept is a slow month - it's part of the appeal for us, and why we chose to have our wedding then. I could risk the partial ocean view choice in the Palace/Ocaen tower option, and hope because Sept is slow I'd get an upgrade or the tower of my choice. Or pay more now for the Lagoon tower. I don't know if I'd have less of a chance to get into the ocean tower because I'm going through costco travel or not.

Any opinions?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

You're welcome!

well, you have spree confirming that the Ocean Tower is the place to be, the Lagoon tower not so much. Everything spree said, makes sense to me.

I caught that about not being able to control Ocean or Palace, and it's a tough one. I have no idea about how Costco bookings are treated.

All I know is that the Hilton has been way down in occupancy, and September is VERY slow on the island at best of times. For that reason I think you have a good shot.

Obviously there is much more negotiating power if you're willing to pay for an upgrade than if you just want a request honored.

I wonder if it's really true that you can't know until you arrive. The people who assign rooms will have a certain time by which it's done, maybe the day before, by which point you should be able to call and see. At that point, if you got the Palace, you could try some negotiating.

Also, even with Priceline it's possible to call the hotel after the booking and get a preference notated on your booking. So say you book and then call the Hilton and say "we really want Ocean, can you note our request?".

I really don't think the Lagoon Tower is what you want. If you look at the map you see it's surrounded by activity areas.

Unless you plan to be out of the room all day ... but then the view wouldn't matter, and you say it does.

These are just some ideas ...

I make no claims to know how the Hilton room assignment system works. Others who post here will know better.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

In July, we stayed in an ocean deluxe room in the Ocean Tower. It was on the 7th floor which I believe is the top floor and it was absolutely beautiful. We got in late at night and could not see out it was so dark. We sat on the balcony (lanai) and I told my husband I could hear the ocean and I knew it was out there. When the sun came up, we were in awe of the view right outside our room. Simply gorgeous! We loved it and are returning again this July and asked for the same room (#7051) in the Ocean tower. There is also an adult pool and jacuzzi at the tower that would be very convenient for your use. Nice lounges with padded covers and towels. The distance never bothered us and we had two kids who used the other pools everyday. It was just so simple to hop on a boat, tram or just walk through the beautiful grounds.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

P.S. Be happy :) to send you photos of the view from the room for your own decision if you send me a pm with your email address.

8. Re: Ugh. Have to re-book - which tower to choose??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 22:38