We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the rain that bad?

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Is the rain that bad?

As it gets closer to our visit (we fly in on Wednesday afternoon) it looks like we will be in for rain several days of our visit (12/17-12/25). Since we were planning on doing alot of exploring & beach days (mucho snorkeling), are we in for a change of plans? Or are the rains short lived & non-eventful? We are staying in Kailua-Kona but planned visits all over the island. Don't get me wrong... I know that being there will be better than here! :) Just wondering how much the rain can impact our plans.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Is the rain that bad?

Sounds like you have a great attitude therefore it will not be an issue. Leave your agenda open, check out the weather report and heat to where it might not be raining.. Ua happens.. in Kailua-Kona it is normally warm and sweet, but it can come down at times.. if you are up higher you will get more rain..

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
140 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Is the rain that bad?

Rain does happen, but it doesn't usually last that long. Upside? It is really warm, and we love it when we get a little relief on those warm days.

Don't let the raindrops scare you! It is still paradise, just shift mindsets for the moment and you will have a wonderful time!

39 days and counting!

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Is the rain that bad?

I figured it wouldn't be too bad. I imagine that the "haze" that is predicted for each day will probably affect our enjoyment of the beaches & snorkeling more than the rain will. Our plans are flexible except for the days we are over on the Hilo side (2 days, 1 night). And I know what to expect over there. I have just had my frame of mind set on beaches & snorkeling (like when we visited the islands on our cruise in late Dec 05) - It didn't even rain in Hilo the day we were there! I know! GASP!

I won't change my packing list much, as the umbrella was already on the list.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
125 reviews
4. Re: Is the rain that bad?

I would plan on pretty much all your snorkeling to be from boats....not the beach. Beach can be very rough and churned up.... Boat snorkeling unaffected.

We have a well establish trend of winter south swells that really churn up the shore. You will have to drive an 45 min to an hour north to Kua or A bay if you want a sandy beach. La Aloa /Magic Sands beach is gone till April. That leaves the King Kam beach.

It will likely rain on you... how hard or how long will depend on where you are... on the east side...lots. Listen for flash flood warnings

Oh, Mauna Kea just got 5 inches of new snow yeaterday...

Volcano.....you can bank on it...

On the Kohala proably not so much. rain.

In Kona mostly light rain for short periods however it can come down very heavy for 6 hours at 1/2 per hour. Expect higher humidity and londer periods of overcast.

Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Is the rain that bad?

Mahalo nui to everyone. Unfortunatley, snorkeling from boats is out of the question. DH gets seasick easily. We had planned on spending a fair of time at the beaches up in the Kohala area, so this may not be too bad. We will just play it day by day. It is rainy & COLD here today so it can't be any worse. :)

Again - just glad to be somewhere beautiful! We have been planning this trip for over a year... can't believe it is finally here.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Is the rain that bad?

Love2Hula: As the Boy Scouts always say "Always be Prepared" for the worst case. Def. pack rain gear & umberella. Last year leaving Kona area Dec. 1st it started to rain hard (didn't stop for a weak). I dodged that and the earth quake the time before, ha.

Yes def. leave your plans flexible for sure.

Hopefully Pele is on your side.

Happy Travels, TheodoreJay

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
125 reviews
7. Re: Is the rain that bad?

at this time of year...there will be no snorkeling on the Kohala coast...nasty and rough with strong winds. Hapuna very windy Kua your best chance and the King Kam beach

Please forget snorkeling up there... Kahaluu in Kona is your only shore site this time of year.....

Even in good times there is not much to see snorkeling up there.....90% of all the good snorkeling is south of Kona. Without a boat it there will be not the best this next week...

New storm coming in the 17-20th with swell. I am told

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Is the rain that bad?

I can't imagine this weather forecast is accurate. Where did you get it? The Kohala coast rarely gets rain the entire year, and not much ... and if Kona is wet you can drive north. But I doubt Kona would be wet for a week either.

It stormed one day this last week. It's not going to rain for a week. The water conditions, that is something different.

Winter is not the time to plan a beach snorkeling trip, so stay flexible on that. There's a lot to enjoy if snorkeling isn't your number one priority (especially with no boat trips).

Hilo side has been exceptionally dry this year, but the last three days have been wet. Today had some violent showers, the kind where you don't want to be outside. The rest has been more drizzly and intermittent.

Hilo weather changes throughout the day and the week. It can be a problem if your plan is to spend an afternoon hiking, but otherwise I find it easy to work around the downpours ... but then I am not on vacation, and I don't mind a stay in and do indoors stuff day such as this one.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Is the rain that bad?

"Last year leaving Kona area Dec. 1st it started to rain hard (didn't stop for a week)."

Jay, are you sure that was in Hawaii?! I have lived here for 20 years and it NEVER rained for a week ANYWHERE, not even in Hilo, during that time on this island. It rarely rains during the day in Kona and it hardly ever rains during the day in Kohala.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Is the rain that bad?

Well let me qualify that statement. It rained the whole day I was leaving, couldn't even watch the sun go down that day (Dec. 1st 2007) and when checking back w/ my B&B hosts lots of damps stories. Lots of stories on USA news that week about flooding on the Kona side. So yes rained the whole weak is over kill.