We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
312 reviews
Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

This article addresses the "happy" problem of what to do with leftover, nonperishable grocery items when you leave your condo and the "unhappy" problem of the growing number of hungry families--working families--in Hawaii.

westhawaiitoday.com/articles/…local01.txt

Snorkel Bob's sites are accepting donations thru December, On the Big Island, the donations go to The Food Basket, the Hawaii Island food bank. It's a worthy organization that I have been contributing to (in its current and former instatiations) for over a decade.

http://www.thefoodbasketinc.com/

How about asking Snorkel Bob's to continue the program in 2009?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
1. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

Thanks for the links and the excellent information. Easy to find Snorkel Bob's! Continuation certainly has my vote.

Near Seattle
Level Contributor
196 posts
2. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

Awesome...perfect...I love it!

We often wonder what to do with our leftovers. We usually leave them in the condo hoping the cleaners will use some of it. This is a much better option!

We'll be visiting the Big Island for Christmas. We don't leave until January 3rd though, but I assume a donation directly to the Food Basket should work too.

Thanks Honu Ohana

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
140 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

That is such a good idea. I know that we leave a lot of things that could be useful to other families. I do hope that they continue this or that thefoodbasket finds a way to keep it going. What a great cause!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,049 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

This is a great idea, Honu!

Another worthy organization is the Christmas Wish program for homeless and needy children on the island of Hawai'i.

http://www.christmaswishprogram.org/

It takes Paypal for those (most of you) not in a position to donate a toy in person.

It is not just toys ... the organization tries to find housing for homeless families and needs all sorts of supplies.

Donations are DOWN here this year on the island, including at the Food Basket.

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

Our timeshare (Worldmark) has a box in the lobby of every one of our properties for donations of unopened products at the end of the visit. I have loved that idea! I think they started it a year or two ago. This will be our longest stay in one of our properties, so I am sure we will be untilizing it when we leave on Christmas Day.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

Wonderful, caring ideas. thank you! But don't forget those of us working for the FoodBanks at home as well. All of us on the Mainland are dealing with the same thing and the Foodbank in Washington I have volunteered with for years is at risk of going under! So where ever you are and what ever you can give ...PLEASE DO! If you are reading this you are planning or have made a trip to the Islands, which means, like me, you can afford a few cans of food for your local (or Hawaiian) foodbank! OK..off my soapbox! Thanks for listening!

7. Re: Leftover grocery items in condo--donate to feed the hungry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 02:20