We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer to Copan

usa
Level Contributor
43 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
transfer to Copan

hi everyone!

i am looking to go to Copan for two nights.

1 does anyone have a recommendation for a taxi/driver to take me direct from the airport to Copan with cost?

2 if not, any advice on the bus to Copan

3 any advice for favorite activities in Copan for 2 night trip?

4 anyone take the bus from Copan to Antigua from Basecamp Travel, feedack?

Thanks!! Ric

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer to Copan

If you're interested in arranging a private shuttle, I've had great success with Miguel Martel 504-962-00372 (dial 011 first if calling from the US); his email address is andresik04@hotmail.com . He is bilingual, reliable, and great company. You'll have to email him for the cost.

I've only used Hedman Alas buses between San Pedro Sula and Copán Ruinas and between Copán Ruinas and Antigua (bus to Guatemala City, then they put you in a van to Antigua). www.hedmanalas.com I haven't heard of Basecamp travel, can't help you there, although it's probably a tourist van which might be packed to the gills as opposed to a bus with reclining seats - likely cheaper but less comfortable than HA.

2 nights is a very quick stay, likely just 1 full day and the morning before your bus or shuttle. The Maya site would be a priority; there's a nice nature trail there and a gorgeous museum. People watching is good in the parque central - buy little corn husk dolls from the La Pintada Village kids, the small ones make nice gifs for Christmas tree ornaments, inexpensive, lightweight, colorful, and relatively unbreakable. There's an archaeological museum there on the square and a Maya interpretive museum 5 or 6 blocks up the hill in the old fort. You likely won't have time for the hot springs but maybe for the Macaw Mt. Bird Park. There are several additional Maya sites and some nice caving but likely also out of reach for you time wise, although if you hire a guide to drive you around you'd be able to make more stops. Yovani Barraza is a great birding and Maya site guide - you could ask your hotel for his contact info. ¡Buena suerte!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
usa
Level Contributor
43 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer to Copan

Thanks for all of this great insight and info!!

If possible, would love to know your thoughts. I am planning on spending two nights at Tikal (right outside the gate). I then want to cross overland to Belize. Any thoughts on best way?

Thanks! Ric

Mentioned in this post
Tikal National Park
Tikal National Park
Peten Department, Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer to Copan

By right outside the gate, do you mean at one of the 3 hotels in the park? There are shuttles from there to the border or you can arrange transportation with an agency or your hotel clear to San Ignacio. I know Maximum Tours and Pacz in Belize offer that and Adrenalina in Guatemala. Or you can hitch a ride to the intersection at Ixclu and flag a passing bus or colectivo from there to the border - info in this thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29200…

Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
4. Re: transfer to Copan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2018, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula