We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money or visa

2 posts
Save Topic
money or visa

We're travelling to Palma Real at the end of February and I've read that travellors cheques are hard to cash. We want to go on several tours, diving, conopy, rafting and I was wondering if most places take visa. If so is there an extra charge? Last year in Jamaica we go hit with extras charges for a car rental. Also, do the banks in La Ceiba have ATM's if we need more cash or do we have to stand in line for hours? Thanks for any info.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money or visa

Banks in Ceiba do have ATMs..so its no problem getting cash that way.

Better to work with cash...as some places do charge extra for using a credit card....

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: money or visa

JB -

As Eholbik noted many places do not take credit cards but there are several ATM's in La Ceiba. The problem with being at Palma Real is that you are not in La Ceiba but about 30 minutes away at Playa Roma. The MegaPlaza Mall location would probably be the most convenient to you but there are limits on how much you can withdraw daily (around $100).

The excursion operator which operates out of Palma Real may take credit cards but their advertised prices are much higher than comparable operators in La Ceiba ($50 for hiking or rafting as compared to $30)

The hotel may exchange traveler's checks for you. They are a real problem in town. If you bring any only bring American Express.

Enjoy Honduras!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money or visa

We had a lot of difficulties with even AMEX traveler's checks. We literally signed them in front of the bank officer with our passports with photos and signatures opened in front of him and he still didn't want to cash them. Even if you can get them cashed, it's typically no more than $100.00. - - - We had difficulties in San Pedro Sula, Guanaja and La Ceiba but have used our regular credit cards just about everywhere. (Restaurants, supermercados, gas stations, etc.)

If you do carry cash from the states, there's a bank in the airport in SPS which will change money for you. We've occasionally changed money with the guys who hang around the airport and it's not a big deal if you're careful.

It seems to me that Traveler's Checks are almost passe.

Good luck with your trip!

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: money or visa

jb1717 toronto

Thanks for all the info!! I'm getting excited about this trip!!!

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money or visa

I just got back from two weeks at Palma Real. I didn't cash any traveller's cheques there but you can. The best place to cash them is at a bank in la Ceiba but you must have your passports with you. It's no problem to use Visa with the hotel tour company. I did one of our trips that way. I've received my bill and there's no extra cost. Have a great holiday. Honduras is breathtakingly lush and beautiful.

U.S. cash is a good way to go. They don't accept any Canadian money. You really don't need to buy lempiras before you go and you can use US currency everywhere.

Marilyn Y

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: money or visa

Hi, We just returned from Palma Real Beach Resort and it is very hard to cash travellers cheques. If using the Touraser tour company in hotel to plan your excursions, they do take the travellers cheques. Other than that have U.S. dollars..

7. Re: money or visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba
Recent Conversations
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor