We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

San Francisco
1 post
TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

Hi,

I'm flying to La Ceiba with Taca Airlines this Saturday, and I'm curious about something: they've given me a million connections (booked through Orbitz). It's my own fault for not thinking about it before purchasing the ticket, but I'm concerned about checking in (there are a couple different carriers operating the flights) and whether I'll have to go through Customs any time before reaching La Ceiba.

On the way down the flight is San Francisco - LAX - San Salvador - San Pedro Sula - La Ceiba (I know...) with United operating the SFO-LAX leg, and ISLENA operating the San Pedro Sula-La Ceiba leg.

On the way back, the flight path is La Ceiba - San Pedro Sula - San Salvador - San Francisco. Again, the La Ceiba - San Pedro Sula leg is operated by ISLENA.

Should I be worried about this? In LA I have several hours layover, so re-checking in won't be much of a problem. But the Central American layovers are never longer than an hour.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
1. Re: TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

Cel -

I've flown with TACA a bunch of times. They should tell you if you have to pick up your luggage and recheck it in either San Salvador or San Pedro Sula.

You'll know from the luggage tag as well if it is checked all the way through to La Ceiba (LCE).

Islena is the regional TACA carrier for Honduras. As such you are not really changing airlines in San Pedro Sula (as long as you did not book the tickets separately).

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

You should be ok as Islena works with TACA. Just will be a long long day for sure. When you arrive in San Pedro Sula, they move you the other domestic terminal for the La Ceiba flight....and pretty sure you dont actually go through customs until roatan...

small plane.. dress comfortable

San Salvador is the hub... so sometimes there can be delays..

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
3. Re: TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

E -

Every time I fly through San Pedro Sula they change something at the terminal.

As of two weeks ago there were not two waiting areas. They dispensed with the local flight waiting area and now everyone waits for flights in what used to be the international area.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

4. Re: TACA airlines - how many connections is too many?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba