We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge

We 're going to be in La Ceiba for two days and are wondering if it's worth a day trip to the Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge.

Has anyone done either a guided canoe tour or bird-watching tour? Is it worth it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge

I have done it before... we had a good time. You take like a mini train from the entrance to where the docks are. From there you can go in a boat tour... motor or canoe?? I dont remember for sure..but we took the motor.... i think there were different prices for the amount of time you wanted to be out there.......

You get a chance to see some spider monkeys in the trees... as they take you deeper into the river.... its really cool...the trees completely cover the sky..... lots of different birds... we didnt see any crocadiles..but they say its common to see... also some do see manatees but we didnt..

The guide then takes you where the rivers meet up with the ocean.... some people camp there if they want.

Overall i think it was fun...taking pictures.. enjoying the boat ride... spotting different birds and animals.... kind of like the everglades.... they have a small visitor center that has some pictures and information about the area. Also have a small resturant ( but didnt have fish when we tried to eat lunch)

my wife and i enjoyed it.... something new...relaxing... the guide spotted animals... like bats on trees...birds hiding... was fun.

I hope this helps... if you have any questions let me know...

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge

Also.. if you do go... try to go as early as possible. Because its the best time to see the birds as they are more active in the morning....... i think we got there alittle later...so we didnt catch at their peak.. but still enjoyed it.

I have pictures that ill try to post on the site...

3. Re: Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba