We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

Hi everyone,

I was thinkin of doing a tour with Jungle River upon arriving in La Ceiba before heading over to Roatan. We arrive at 915pm and it seems they have free lodging if you do a tour with them. Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations for a tour and also, we are hoping to get the tour done and go directly to the ferrry to catch the 430pm Roatan ferry. Does this seem doable for all of you who have expeience with this? Thanks Jillian

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
1. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

Jillian -

Most of the local excursions run 4-5 hours tops (rafting, hiking, horse back, zip-line). If you start early it should not be a problem making the late ferry to Roatan. You may also want to check Omega Tours (http://www.omegatours.hn/start.htm) who runs the same deal. Omega does not have a zip-line however.

Whoever you go with see if they can make the transportation arrangements to have you picked up on arrival. You don't want to have to pay the outlandish airport taxi rates to go across town and up the mountain at that time of the night.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

I've done a tour w/ Jungle River and it was fine but after staying one night at Jungle River Lodge (leaky roof and mouse droppings) and LESS than one night at their Banana Republic Guesthouse, my main piece of advice is that with FREE lodging, you get what you pay for. It was very icky.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,602 posts
331 reviews
3. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

I 2nd Charlie's notion about looking into Omega Lodge http://www.omegatours.hn/start.htm before you commit. We had a wonderful stay with them last summer. We stayed 3 nights and chose rafting, kayaking through Cacao Lagoon to a secluded Caribbean beach, and horse back riding through mountain villages as our adventure choices. Even the "free" lodging looked nice, but they also have other options including the Creek Cabin we stayed in ($15/night for both of us) and some really funky, beautiful suites. The food was excellent, the guides and owners helpful and knowledgeable, and the grounds lovely - highly recommended.

Getting in that late I'd recommend you consider staying as we did at Charlie Meador's Coco Pando www.cocopando.com . They picked us up at the airport (after 10 pm for us) and it was so great to enjoy a beer in their lovely, open rooftop bar and then crash without the extra hassle of a ride on questionable roads clear up into the mountains. Omega guides picked us up there the next morning. Just another option...

Have a great trip!

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
4. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

Hopeful -

How was that kayaking through Cacao Lagoon trip? I have not done that one yet.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,602 posts
331 reviews
5. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

Hi, Charlie! We had a wonderful day - great trip. The drive in through Cacao Village was lovely - such a wonderful place. Lots of common areas with activities for kids and adults and everything so well ordered and peaceful. We kayaked into the lagoon and through canals with the branches touching overhead. We saw lots of birds, blue morpho butterflies, and monkeys. We paddled to the end of the lagoon closest to the beach, just 30-40 feet of sand separating it from the Caribbean and had a fabulous lunch and as much time as we wanted to hang out on the beach before heading back. I highly recommend it. Happy trails!

6. Re: JUngle River Tour guides in La Ceiba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba