We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize or Honduras?

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Belize or Honduras?

Highly confused between Belize and Honduras. Honduras was not in my list initially but it looks like a nice place for some diving and snorkeling. Is there much to do in the country for 7 days? I am looking at travel warnings and am confused. ( I am new to tripadvisor so if this is a repeat post, sorry).

4 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,526 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize or Honduras?

Both great destinations for diving and snorkeling but really different. Easy for me to fill 7 days with diving and relaxing. If you're wanting add'l activities - cultural and/or outdoor adventures off the water, they're easier to get to in Belize which is very compact and has a huge diversity of cultures and incredible caving and access to Maya sites. In each country the mainlands don't offer much in the way of snorkeling - you have long boat trips to get to the reef. The northern cayes of Belize are very near the reef and y ou have access to atolls as well, but the beaches aren't quite as pretty and diving is considerably more expensive, pretty much double. Across from the islands of Roatán and Utila there are cool mountain places for kayaking, rafting, horse trips, and waterfall hikes - we love Omega Lodge there. Copán has beautiful Maya sites and more but is more of a challenge to get to from Roatán (for example): flight to San Pedro Sula and ~3.5 hours by road or water taxi and ~7 hours by road.

My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize or Honduras?

Thanks Stacey. That was helpful.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize or Honduras?

If you are into diving and snorkeling, you will certainly find plenty to do in 7 days just on Roatan. You need not really worry about the "travel warnings" for Honduras, although Roatan is part of Honduras. Just follow basic safety rules while traveling and you should be fine.

You could take a day trip and see other parts of the island, visit the mangroves or the sloth sanctuary, even zip line! But If you want to do lots of other activities (other than diving and snorkeling), you could go to the mainland as hopefulist suggested. Roatan is divers' and snorkelers' paradise.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize or Honduras?

Depending on your budget and what you would like to in terms of activities both countries have a lot to offer. We were recently in Roatan, the Bay of Island and Utila, a month ago and found some great places to stay and things to do that are affordable. Check out our blog post to see what we would recommend as the best of Roatan or Utila at www.travelwaves.ca/countries/honduras/roatan/

Reply to: Belize or Honduras?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Honduras
Recent Conversations