We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medication refills

2 posts
Save Topic
Medication refills

I am moving to Panajachel in August from USA and I take medicine for high blood pressure. Do l just take my medication bottle to pharmacy for refills?

4 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
267 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medication refills

You can try that first and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you may need to schedule an appointment with a doctor. High blood pressure is not unusual in Guatemala. I have in-laws (who live in the Antigua area) both suffer from it.

That said, I hope that the lifestyle down there agrees with you! I bet you'll find that you eat lots more fresh local fruits and vegetables, you will need to walk for transportation a lot, and you'll probably experience lower levels of stress. Best of luck in your move!

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medication refills

You should have no problem fining what you need. Take the bottle but you may find that the name on the bottle is known differently in Guat. Look up the name on google if it is not the generic name of the medication. Have that handy and they should know it.

The problem may be where the medication comes from.

I tend to stay away from anything chinese or from India.

But maybe Im paranoid.

You should not need a prescription but as Tulipancito mentions maybe hit up a doctor as if you will be there a long time will be good to have a doctor you know.

As Tulipancito says you can probably reduce your BP over time with excercise and better fresh foods. It worked for me in Costa Rica.

Enjoy Pana!!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medication refills

On the less positive side for keeping blood pressure down, you'll find that locally prepared food is salted more than you're used to. But it's less salty than it used to be.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medication refills

It would make sense for you to connect with a local physician soon after you move to Guatemala. You will need to have someone to monitor your blood pressure, as well as other health conditions, over the long term. Just getting hold of blood pressure medications may be of less concern. You also should not have unrealistic expectations about beneficial or harmful effects of the lifestyle changes from your move; for example, changing salt intake has relatively little effect on blood pressure for most hypertensive patients. Others on the forum may be able to suggest a reliable doctor in the Pana area; if not, send me a pm and I'll give you the name of a colleague in the capital.

Reply to: Medication refills
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel