We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

If you have visited this site, I would like to hear your experience and impressions of this village. Did you use a tour company?

Thank you for your help.

Guatemalan Adventure Day Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Filadelfia Coffee Resort & Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

Yes, I know of this river community, and their self-sustaining project to improve their living conditions, education, etc. Actually spelled Q'EQCHI . I found it very interesting, and the location is amazingly beautiful. The tour of the village itself takes you through a nice jungle walk where you learn about medicinal plants, you see the school and village, and then you have the opportunity to purchase native handicrafts.

You do not need a tour company, but you need to have an understanding of the water taxi systems, otherwise you can get stuck there. You can have a water taxi drop you off as you travel from Rio Dulce/Frontera to (or from) LIvingston. Then you have to make sure someone will come back to pick you up. An alternative to a tour or the public water taxis is to hire a private boat. That can be a bit expensive.

I love staying at Finca Tatin Jungle Lodge which is just across the river from the Q'eqchi community. If you stay at Finca Tatin or another of the jungle lodges, you can paddle a kayak to the river community and tour it yourself. I hope this helps.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

I had to google it to discover that your thread title is what the cruise lines call their Rio Dulce tour. I've been to Ak'Tenamit a couple of times. I didn't use a tour company. One time, I was staying nearby at Finca Tatin (you'd pass it on the way to Ak'Tenamit) and the other time I was on a weekend lake cruise. There's not a whole lot there, just sort of a focal point for the surrounding villages. One time, I hiked a couple of hours past there to an outlying village, and I thought that was worthwhile, but I doubt you'll have that option.

The ride up the Rio Dulce is nice.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

Thanks DC. I appreciate your comments. When I typed in Ak'tenamit here, I didn't get any information. Thanks for letting me know that I am using a cruise-line tour term.

4. Re: O'eqchi Indigenous River Community

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 16:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question