We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatamala, or not?!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
137 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Guatamala, or not?!

Hi there,

In the beginning of May I can take 2 weeks of from work. Now I found a cheap ticket to Guatamala.

But I'm doubting if I should go there or not. 2 years ago I went to Nicaragua and as I set my feet in this country I felt homesick as hell. Unfortunately I just couldn't fit in the country and left home early.

One of the problems was that I travel alone. And in this country I found it more difficult. I couldn't book as much tours as I wished because they all the time need at least 2 pax. They didn't even want to take me alone if I payed more. As safety counts first for me I prefer tours.

So my question is, is it more easy to travel alone in Guatamala? Can I easily book tours on my own (so they don't need 2 pax)?

I'd love to see Tikal but I assume I can just pay entrance here and walk around alone.

For the places Antigua, Tikal, lake Atitlan, vulcanotrips, is it easy to book nice trips?

Guatemalan Adventure Day Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Filadelfia Coffee Resort & Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
California
Level Contributor
717 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

I'll be leaving for my second trip to Guatemala in June and this time I will be traveling solo. However, I don't take tours in Guatemala and haven't yet made it to Tikal.

In my case, I will be spending most of my time on Lake Atitlan. I will be taking Spanish classes for half the day and taking a yoga class or kayaking during the other half. This sort of thing is easy to do solo. Also, the Spanish language school offers some excursions on the weekend. Would you enjoy doing something similar while in Guatemala?

Sorry I can't help with the tour part but somebody else with more experience will probably answer.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 07:26
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

Generally, you will meet people traveling around, particularly if you're staying in hostels or in places that serve dinner to all guests at the same time. A lot of times, people are kicking back on their hotel's roof for drink in the afternoon, and it's easy to chat people up in that situation. It's also easy to meet people if you're in a Spanish school.

You should be able to do some tours. For example, you might be the only person to book a Pacaya volcano tour at your hotel, or a particular travel agency, but they all pool their tours together, so you should be OK. Sometimes, depending on the tour, it may be more difficult, but you should be OK most of the time.

Miami Beach, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

I'm going back to visit lake Atitlan..maybe in april..I'm a latino and graphic artist former New Yorker now living in Miami Beach ...I'm thinking about renting a casita on the lake for a month...and maybe sharing it with other travelers...so if think you may be interested lemme know

we can exchage email address so we discus it in details

Ruben

rubenzone@hotmail.com

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

It is very easy to book your transportation, tours, accommodations, and travel solo in Guatemala. So much to see and do. Go! Have fun! You won't regret it!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

I don't mind solo travel, so it's hard for me to say what you should do. Maybe take a shorter trip and not go the full 2 weeks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

I think Spanish school is a great idea! Book the 1st week and then decide if you would rather stay or travel around. Or you could book a week each in 2 schools; Antigua and Atitlan are a good combination. Let me know if you would like school recommendations (or try a search).

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

PS I'm currently traveling sola in Guatemala, heading home Wednesday. <<sigh>>

Edited: 02 April 2013, 13:01
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

Guatemala is a perfect place to visit solo or sola... I did it for three weeks and it was fun! If you are thinking to study spanish I can recommed this school www.cdmschool.com

9. Re: Guatamala, or not?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 16:16