We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

Hi - I am hoping to travel around Guatemala this summer and then travel through El Salvador to Nicaragua. I have about 25 days and would like to know how difficult it is to find transportation through El Salvador.

4 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

I am assuming you don't actually want to visit El Salvador but are asking about the fastest way to Nicaragua.

We took a shuttle through the Bigfoot hostel. It goes from Antigua to Leon. But not that long ago there was a report of a robbery. I suppose you could ask Bigfoot about that.

https://www.bigfoothostelantigua.com/shuttles

Or look at Transporte del Sol. They go from Guatemala to Nicaragua without an overnight in San Salvador.

transportedelsol.com/tarifasguatemala.html

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

Thanks,

I was wondering about a stop at Suchitoto and later boating it across to Nicaragua. Your response has confirmed some of my concern with El Salvador. I originally wanted to take some time and explore more, but perhaps the overnight bus may be the best answer.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

I have not been to El Salvador but I would not hesitate going. I was just not sure if you actually wanted to visit El Salvador or you were just trying to get to Nicaragua. And the armed robbery apparently happened in April when the shuttle was still in Guatemala.

If you want to visit El Salvador I would go to San Salvador (take Ticabus or Transporte del Sol). I believe Suchitoto is not far from San Salvador so you should be able to take a bus there.

To get to Nicaragua I know you could go via La Union. But only a few times a week. I am sure people have arranged it all on their own as well but there is also this company which makes it easier:

rutadelgolfo.com/routes/585/la-union-potosi

You would end up in Potosi, Nicaragua. From there you can hike up volcano Cosiguina. And then you can take a bus to Leon but you could stop in Jiquilillo on the way.

But three countries with only 25 days seems rushed to me. You could easily spend 25 days in Guatemala. Or in Nicaragua. If you combine those two maybe 15 days Guatemala and 10 days Nicaragua.

4. Re: July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 05:35

Reply to: July 2017 travel between Guatemala and Nicaragua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted