We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

We just back from the earthquake in costarica. We in our room on the first floor when it happened. Parts of the celing fell on our bed 100 lb chuncks!!!! We dove in the bath tub. Our room was in shambles. There was a crack around the entire room. Everything was busted. We got our stuff packed in under 1min ad got out of there ASAP!!!! We were on a plane in 2 hrs. I don't regret leaving. I didn't feel safe looking at the condition of the resort. I took a bunch of pics of the place. We were having a good time prior to the event. However, it is time for the Riu to put customer safety first, reinburese travelers, and take care of the repairs.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

Thanks fr the feedback, first hand accounts go a long way. this is exactly what is being said by all that have been there. Including all the posts on Facebook, many of which get deleted by RIU management over time. There was a long thread that was closed here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5740…

There was a quake of 5.6 there today accordiing to the news (part of the many replicas expected for the next month), hope no one was injured.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

Sorry to hear of your terrible experience, Mary. I hope you will return to Costa Rica another time for a positive and relaxing vacation!

Like Thomas, I hope the repercussions of today's shake were minor.

Atlantic City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

I am new to the Trip Advisor Blog Forum. Can someone explain why the other blog on Riu Guanacaste was closed? Is there a time or message limit? We were scheduled to check in at the Riu today-well Saturday! We could have switched to another resort in CR but were concerned about damage, aftershocks, roads and food/supplies interruption. It was tough to get any information when we were making the decision. I just saw this blog Saturday afternoon. This blog was extremely helpful to people like us who needed info on travelling now and/or cancelled their vacation and wondered if they made the right choice! Seeing the pictures and news reports I am sure we made the right choice! Thanks so much for posting pictures and details. The country looks beautiful so hopefully we will get there one day!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

Most hotels are open, so contact each individual hotel and they will tell you. Things are normal now.

Don't cancel.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

thanks for the report

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

Mary, thank you for your report. Please do an additional effort and put the photos on a photo sharing web like Picassa.

Vacationer, the other thread was closed (but not removed) because it started to revolve around "minor cosmetic damages" and "need for independent structural inspection". No new info was there for the traveler to help him make a quality decision. I hope that also this one will not ended the same way.

7. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 00:49
Edited: 18 October 2012, 00:49
8. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Eden, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!

I was wonder the same thing , I have a trip booked for oct 27th and was thinking about changing plans , no info for the riu or travel agent , but plenty posts of bad damage , not sure what to think

10. Re: riu costarica earthquake we were there!!