We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

My husband and I are trying to plan our trip to CR for 2012. I want to go to both Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo. We do not want to rent a car. I know we can take a Nature Air flight Tortuguero but after that I get stuck as there are no planes that go to Limon or Puerto Viejo. I have read about water taxi's but looking at a map that seems a bit far. How reliable are they? Reputable? We would need to get to Puerto Viejo and then get back to San Jose. What would be the best way to do this and should we go to Puerto Viejo first, then travel to Tortuguero? If anyone has any information at all I would great appreciate it. We are a middle age couple and like adventure but not so much that it would be stressful or scary. We have only been to the Pacific side of CR and would like to see what the Caribbean side is like. Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

You can take a boat ("water taxi") from Tortuguero to the docks at Moin and from there a taxi to the bus station in Limon for the bus to Puerto Viejo. You could also just negotiate with a taxi to take you to Puerto Viejo.

The boats from Tortuguero to Moin are reliable, safe and run every day. It takes about three hours and is an absolutely wonderful trip where you will see lots of wildlife and some of the most beautiful country in the world.

Your lodging in Tortuguero can make arrangements for the trip from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo which would include the boat and a shuttle to Puerto Viejo. You could also contact www.geckotrail.com who could arrange everything for you.

Gecko Trail could also arrange your transportation back to either San Jose or to Alajuela where the airport is located.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

I agree you can just get a taxi after the boat in Moin to take you to Puerto Viejo and from Puerto Viejo to San Jose you can take the interbus shared shuttle. Another way would be arranging for private transfers but they are more expensive.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

Thank you! This sounds wonderful! I was a little scared of the water taxi but this sounds pretty cool!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

Last year, I arranged through an agency in Puerto Viejo, transport from Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero. A shuttle picked me up at my hotel, drove me to the dock in Moin where I got the boat for the beautiful ride to Tortuguero. It was $45. More expensive than bus, taxi, boat all on your own - but worth it to me for the convenience.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,842 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

From Tortuguero to Moin by boat, contact Riverboat Francesca, thus you will have a transport and a tour in one package. From Moin to Puerto Viejo by shuttle, not very comfortable but fastest. From Puerto Viejo to San Jose by bus, great and affordable way to travel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

No problem at all with the boats from Tortuguero to Moin...it is a nice ride...and at the end you can hire a red taxi...with the yellow triangles at the doors to take you to Puerto Viejo...in Costa Rica ...even that some times you can find cheaper services...always try as much as possible to deal with services aproved by Government...some phanton operations..all over the country with some shady promoters that most of the times are the owners or partners of scammers!

roadadvisor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

How much is the cost difference in hiring a taxi from Moin to PV as opposed to a shared shuttle?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

You can check with http://www.geckotrail.com/private.htm for ground transportation from Moin to Puerto Viejo area hotel, the bus from Limon is around $5 pp, taxi will run $40-50 from Limon, a little more from Moin.

9. Re: Best way to get from Tortuguero to Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 21:17