We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baffled by Interbus website

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Baffled by Interbus website

Is anyone else as utterly baffled as I am by the Interbus and Shuttlebus websites? I can't even figure out how to get started. It seems as though you have to have a detailed map of Costa Rica in front of you even to begin to figure out what the possible pickup places are. We would like to travel from the airport to a hotel in Grecia or thereabouts the first day (which we can probably arrange with that hotel), but the next day we would like to go from there to Nicoya. I don't see any options that approximate that in the shuttlebus services section of the website, and I've never seen any drop-down lists of hotels mentioned in other posts. I'm also hoping to go from Nicoya to Monteverde, but when I double click on Nicoya, Monteverde is not one of the destinations that appears. But surely it must be possible to make that trip. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

Don't trust the website - phone them. Chances are everything will be easy and the staff helpful.

If not PM me and I will get you a schedule

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

Not all shuttles go from everywhere to everywhere. Grecia is not generally thought of as a tourist destination and neither is the town of Nicoya. Shuttles coming from Samara to Monteverde would pass through the town of Nicoya so that might be an option.

You can also try Anywhere Costa Rica - their website is a little easier to use. But you may have to get "creative" with the origins and destinations that you have.

Anywhere Costa Rica has a great "chat" function where you can talk to someone online. They have been very helpful to me several times.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
3. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

Even if you knew how to use the website you would be having a problem figuring out your routes. Interbus doesn't go everywhere and from the places it does go it doesn't necessarily go to all the other it places it goes (if that makes any sense). If you look at their "map", you will see that they only have 1 place marked in the Central Valley area and that is San Jose. In actuality they can and do pick up in places extending considerably beyond the SJ city limits. For example, if you select San Jose as your origin location and go to that drop-down menu you couldn't find you will see several specific hotel pickup locations that are actually in the Alajuela area. I suspect you probably won't find your hotel in Grecia on that list. That doesn't mean they necessarily won't pick-up there, however you'll probably have to contact them directly to inquire about that. Grecia being as far outside of SJ as it is (and not really being that much on the path from SJ to Nicoya) they still might not be willing to make a special pickup for you there. If that is the case, all is not necessarily lost, you just might need to take a bus or taxi to some hotel in Alajuela where they will pick you up.

As for the 2nd leg of your itinerary from Nicoya to Monteverde surely it is possible to make that trip, just not with Interbus. Your alternatives are to hire a private driver (which could be expensive but will be the most direct) or possibly use the public bus system (which is dirt cheap but will probably involve at least a couple of changes of buses and much more time).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,728 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

As others have has mentioned most shuttles do not go everywhere in the country...they go to high volume kind of towns...

roadadvisor

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

Many thanks for all your ideas. I think calling Interbus is the way to start, and that's what I'll do. Thanks to all.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

You might also try contqacting your hotels directly to arrange transportation-they'll tell you if Interbus or Grayline or another option is your best bet.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

Interbus and Greyline have great transportation. But there office and booking skills are horrible. Not very effecient businesses as they make it so hard to book with them. Have had problems even when my travel agent in Jaco tries to book for me. They have told her different things at different times. Both companies could make a fortune with decent management.

8. Re: Baffled by Interbus website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:19