We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Questions

Tacoma
10 posts
Itinerary Questions

My husband and I will be traveling to Costa Rica for the first time in December.

Have booked our flights and working on the itinerary.

Flight arrives in the evening so will be spending the night near the airport and having a rental car dropped off the next morning.

We are planning on going to 3 locations in 13 says

Arenal Volcano, Monteverde & Manuel Antonio.

Thinking about staying in either MA or in B & B in Playa Matapalo.

Would like some beach time combined with hiking/wildlife. Drake bay & canon island snorkling sound fun too.

5 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Questions

Your three locations are fine for 13 days. Drake Bay is separate from Manual Antonio; are you suggesting a fourth visit?

The next step is deciding upon how you will move around the country and where you will be sleeping. If you tell us what your budget is and what your preferences are we can help better.

Tacoma
10 posts
2. Re: Itinerary Questions

Thank you for your response,

I am thinking 3 nights in Arenal, driving to Monteverde for 4 nights & the last 5 nights in Manuel Antonio area.

For the last 5 nights I was debating on weather we should stay in MA or a little further down the coast in Matapalo. We would want to spend some time at the national park but would also like some beach time & possibly surf and or snorkle cano island or whale watch.

We typically like to stay in more budget friendly places so we can do more excursions. I have been looking at places in the 80-130$ range a night

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Questions

Most people would tell you to spend more time in Arenal than Monteverde. If you go further south for beaches you can possibly skip Manual Antonio.

The places I used to stay at that were once in your price range have now climbed a bit higher. We often spend more like $150/ night.

You can look at Villas Vilma and Hotel Kokoro near Arenal, Los Pinos in Monteverde, Hotel Mimos in Quepos and El Mono Feliz in Ochochal. SOme of these will be less than $100/ night (Villas Vilma and Los Pinos).

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
482 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Questions

If wildlife is your thing on this trip skip MA altogether (the creatures in the park are a bit too human connected for my liking) and head south - any of the Osa villages on the south or Drake on the north. You might spend time on the Ballena Coast on the way to the Osa. You don't say how you will travel?

Berni

Pura Vida Hotel

Tacoma
10 posts
5. Re: Itinerary Questions

We plan on picking up a car before heading to Arenal.

The idea of traveling south sounds great but how much travel time would it tack on?

We are also flying out on the afternoon of the 20th so don't want an extremely long drive to the airport.

I had been going back and forth with time spent in Arenal vs Monteverde. An extra day in Arenal would be nice after traveling as well.

Reply to: Itinerary Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted