We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather and vacation type

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
176 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
weather and vacation type

Hi All! My husband and I are planning a *very* last minute trip to CR for the last week in May. Yes - in about 1.5 weeks. We have been to MA, La Fortuna, Osa, and Uvita in the past. We would love to go back to the Osa but due to the last minute nature of this trip and logistics we don't think that's feasible or the best use of our time.

Primarily, we want to relax, get back to nature, see some wildlife, maybe some birding, boating, and are very physically active, but we don't need to be super busy on this 5 day trip. We are debating between going back to La Fortuna and going somewhere new to us like Guanacaste.

We've narrowed it down to either:

La Fortuna @ Silencio (we loved our previous stay there)

or

Hotel Lagarta (the views look amazing)

Punta Islita (proximity to the Ara project)

Some properties that I wanted to stay at were sold out unfortunately, but such is life when you plan a trip 2 weeks prior to departure.

I would love to know if you think weather should play a role in this decision, and if you have suggestions for other locations or properties I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Edited: 16 May 2018, 05:04
26 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather and vacation type

Which CR airport are you using?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather and vacation type

We love La Fortuna. Did you check out the Arenal Observatory Lodge? Great wildlife spotting there. Free guided hike each morning. Also check out the Cano Negro tour, Penas Blancas safari float, and Bogarin Trail. Weather would not be a concern for me.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
176 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather and vacation type

Haven't bought our tickets yet! Either one works, but SJO is a smidge cheaper. I guess it depends on where we ultimately end up going.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
176 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather and vacation type

Unfortunately AOL is sold out..even if we moved our date around by a few days :(.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather and vacation type

Have just checked on their own site. E.g., May 27, for 5 nights, for 2 adults, a room in La Casona is available , but it is smth you need to read the description about. https://www.arenalobservatorylodge.com/rooms

La Casona house is 1/2 km away from the restaurant, reception, pool, trails. All the rooms share communal area in the middle. Rooms have no own balconies. But are priced accordingly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
176 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather and vacation type

Can't do a shared bathroom on vacation, but thanks! Glad weather won't be a concern. Ugh, first world problems deciding where to go on a last minute vacation.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather and vacation type

Then try browsing the hotels organized by categories - luxury, remote, Eco lodges, etc., and see what appeals to you - https://www.anywhere.com/costa-rica/hotels . In the short time that you have you can probably do 1 area.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
176 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather and vacation type

So I already did that, which is how I came up with the two hotel options in Guanacaste. La Fortuna/Arenal just doesn't have much available, and Silencio del Campo was a really nice stay as I remember it. I definitely only want to go to one area. Five days is not enough time to split between multiple areas. If I were to stay in La Fortuna, aside from Silencio del Campo, the Springs Resort looks nice, and for something more remote, (if available) Tree Houses.

I also forgot that I had saved Rio Perdido as a possible option not too far from Liberia...

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather and vacation type

Silencio del Campo always gets consistently good reviews, should be quite a bit more affordable than the Springs. We've stayed at The Springs and loved it, but it was pretty expensive. We stayed on a Groupon deal. Their Club Rio is great. Lost Iguana and Nayara are nice too, not sure if you checked those.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather and vacation type

I don't know if this would interest you at all, but we just stayed at Selva Verde and really enjoyed it. Great for wildlife - lots of toucans, poison dart frogs, red-eyed tree frogs, and if you take the boat tour crocs. Sorry AOL was full. We just did a trip there, and I kind of booked last minute - got the very last Smithsonian room. It was our anniversary and I requested a king bed, and they gave us two beds lol.

Reply to: weather and vacation type
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted