We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Monteverde

3 posts
Road to Monteverde

Hi Everyone,

I will be traveling to Monteverde from La Fortuna in July (2018). Then eventually from Monteverde to SJO area.

I plan on renting an SUV for my time in CR, but do I need 4x4 or will 2WD be enough? I understand I need the clearance. I'm looking at getting at Korando for 4 adults and luggage. The Bego just looks too small.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Road to Monteverde

As far as I know, all of the SUVs are 4WD.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
380 posts
2. Re: Road to Monteverde

Most SUVs offered by the rental car companies are 4WD. Though I have been seeing some offer 2WD Tucsons. These give you enough clearance to climb the mountain.

The price difference isn't all that much, and I usually prefer 4WD anyway. Even on good roads, you occasionally encounter a detour. It is nice to have the security of 4WD, if the going ever gets rough.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer any further advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt

Costa Rica Travel Exchange

It is ok if negative people talk negatively about you; it only means that you still have the gift of life and are still doing something with your life.”

― Edmond Mbiaka

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Road to Monteverde

You might be interested to read the blog re 2WD vs 4WD in CR, with the special mention of Monteverde: https:/… .

Reply to: Road to Monteverde
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted