We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo in June

1 post
Save Topic
Puerto Viejo in June

I'm going to Puerto Viejo in June for about ten days, end of June through the beginning of July. I know that it's part of the rainy season but I'm just curious, has anyone else travelled here during June/July and if so, were you still able to get out and enjoy the beaches and other outdoor activities?

I'm also curious about budgeting. What is the average cost of a meal out? We can cook in our rental, but planned on doing one or two meals out per day, just sticking to food trucks or sodas? Beer/alcohol? I've heard a lot of mixed things online but a friend of mine told me that when she was there a few years ago, she was able to get a big plate of food for around 5 dollars, a smoothie for one dollar and a coffee for around fifty cents. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for the help :)

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
3 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Viejo in June

Take in consideration that global warming is heree...so far some rain is showing ...sorry...but of course that cahnge daily...

roadadvisor

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Viejo in June

We spent 2 wks in S. Caribbean in July. On average, it is the wettest month of all. See the average amount of rainfall and the # of days with possible rain: https:/…weather.php , though of course it might be different, and no one knows how it will be when you are there.

In our first visit there, in July, we had a lot of cloudy skies, rain on and off, a few times, at any time of the day and night, a few separate days with blue skies, no rain, and 2 separate days with pouring rain, for hrs. The main thing we found difficult to get used to was the heat and humidity and how it affcpects everything. Nothing dried for days, incl. swimwear and the so-called fast drying fabrics. It did not matter if we kept them hanging inside or outside. There was just too much humidity in the air. Everything felt moist, even the bed linen, inside. All the accommodations we tried there had mosquito nets over the beds. We were not bothered by bugs in the breeze, on the beaches, but had to use repellent at all times during the night and day when hiking, when hanging around the open concept house, surrounded by jungle vegetation, etc. In the heat and humidity, we found we needed to reapply the repellent frequently, so have a smaller container, which you can wrap up and carry with you. One place where we stayed, in Manzanillo, not in PV, included laundry in the rate of the hotel, so having it done from time to time really helped - mostly because we wanted to have DRY clothes back.

Have pocket ponchos. We were leaving the hotel for the day with a small, thin folded poncho, a repellent and a small waterproof camera in our pockets, and water bottles in our hands. We enjoyed our trip to S. Caribbean and went back the next yr., mostly due to seeing wildlife (sloths, monkeys, toucans, etc), but you need to be prepared for possibilities of rain and pack accordingly.

You can have a Casado for about 3500 CRC in sodas and some restaurants.

Check out https:/…Ghetto-Girl-one-love-1438877239715597 or https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g… - some say it is the best soda in Puerto Viejo. We thought the food was tasty and good value. It is a small, family run place not far from PV bus terminal and the main road that goes along the beach.

Cooking at least some of your meals (e.g., breakfast) at your house might help save money. On some days you might just be too tired to go out, depending on the activities you have had that day. (Remember you might be waking up very early, with howler monkeys or roosters, traffic, dogs barking, at 4:30-5 am.)

Note that foreign made items are expensive in CR. So if you need smth like specific peanut butter, granola bars, trail mix, for ex., bring your own. We found things at a farmers market much less expensive than in supermarkets. We visited the tiny market in Cahuita, on the main st., a few min walk from the NP, on Sunday morning. We bought basics like a pineapple, tiny bananas, mangoes, watermelon, and tomatoes there. We also went shopping at the 3 bigger supermarkets in Puerto Viejo (found them a bit cheaper than the smaller stores in Cahuita).

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Cahuita
Cahuita
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Viejo in June

Veranillo de San Juan is around July...of course nobody knows the exact days...for us NATIVES that live here is not new...or is somenthing we can guarantee...but is a weather factor that has been happen for years.

Many good places to eat...I love MAXIS in Manzanillo good lobster with rice and beans Caribbean style...simple delicious...

I know you are asking for Puerto Viejo and I am recommending Manzanillo about 20 minutes by car....I make the clarification...sinec some people are going to jump about my recommendation...in this way every body is happy...I hope!!!

roadadvisor

Edited: 15 May 2018, 07:44
Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo