We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

I am a former resident of Costa Rica and thought I had experienced everything. My wife and i flew down last month to check on our property. We had some friend coming down the next week, so we rented a SUV to haul everyone around. I made a reservation with solid car rental because they had a good rate for an SUV. I called from my house here in fflorida to confirm that it would be available upon our late arrival around 11:30 p.m. and was assured that it would be. I also inquired about the additional insurance and was told it would be $20 per day the total for the trip i calculated would be around $325 When we arrived at the rental agency we were given a total of $455 i protested and said we talked with and agent earlier in the day, They asked for a name which I did not get because I thought they all worked for the same company. Being late at night and probably impossible to find an SUV at another agency at midnight. My wife and I being old and tired gave in. I feel that Solid Car Rental are a dishonest business and would not do business with them again

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
#1 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Resort
Tulemar Resort
#2 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 58 hotels in La Fortuna de San Carlos
6 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

If you type Solid car rental on the Search line just above this thread, you will find 42 pages listing titles of prior posts mentioning this car rental Co. You can then sort the results by Date.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

sorry to hear your troubles. I always used Adobe, no funny business.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

Sorry...that is no good...in my case I trust reviws no links...firt haned advice is the best....

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

While spoken word is as good as written one, in today's business written word is a must; not that it would help you, only eliminates any doubts around "he says I hear" line. BTW how long was the rental and was 425 USD total or just for the insurance? And which insurance was included/discussed?

San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

The rental car companies in costa rica are the worst i have ever seen. Another one to avoid is Payless. They are horrible. They lie about the rate, eat up thousands of dollars of your credit limit by charging 3 to 5 THOUSAND dollars as a "deposit" to your credit card company and will make up damage that you supposedly do to the car. I Will never use them ever again.

auckland
Level Contributor
505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental

Always one looking for balance.... 3 weeks ago we hired through Solid.... car ( whilst no beauty) was dropped off to us on time and together all marks checked and noted.... they came and picked it up a few days later in San Jose when we had finished with it.... no issues and deposit refunded as they said within 48 hrs..... couldn’t have been happier.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Reply to: Has anyone else had a Bad Experience with Solid Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted