We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.

The weather channel is saying that it is raining all over costa rica. I will be coming into San Jose on May 22 then going to Fortuna on May 24, then making my way to Jaco on May 27. Are there many activities i can do in the rain? Please help!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
3 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.

The weather report is the same year round for Costa Rica: raining! But actual weather is not only rain! Most probably you will encounter afternoon showers, so plan your outdoor activities for mornings, and your transfers for midday.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.

The amount of rain and timing varies from place to place and is less predictable than it was in the past. May is not the rainiest month where you'll be. It's unlikely that it will rain for a complete day but the timing of the showers may vary.

Even when it's raining, as long as there's no thunder, many activities continue as scheduled. You can hike, zip line, go rafting, etc.. Make sure to bring clothes and shoes that are comfortable wet and dry quickly.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.

rain, rain, rain, do not believe the hype. Weather patterns here are too complex for accurate reporting. It can be pouring rain on one side of a mountain with sunny weather on the other. Grab a poncho and go!

Some rain here and there but likely in the afternoons or evenings, nothing that will slow you down. Remember, you are likely coming here to experience in part the Rain Forest, rain is kind of part of the deal. Most activities run rain or shine. Some tours are better with rain, white water rafting, my favorite activity, is enhanced by a good rain fall. IMO no worries.

Mentioned in this post
Rain Forest Cafe and Restaurant
Rain Forest Cafe and...
957 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Reply to: Coming to Costa Rica on May 22.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted