We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

Hello, I am wondering about the best way to get to Manuel Antonio from SJO in December for 6 adults (no children).

I heard that there were no flights going into the airport nearest to Manuel Antonio due to construction, but I don't know if this will be the case in December. The two airlines I could find do not have working schedules for December, or maybe there just are not any flights in December. I could not get the websites to work.

Is the shuttle service reliable? Is it worth it to see the scenery, or is it better to fly (if planes are flying) and avoid the traffic? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
6 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

First of all, there is currently only one domestic airline - SANSA. Natureair is for all intents and purposes defunct.

The work at Quepos airport should be finished and the airport open by December.

Still, for your party, and basically for any group of 3 or more who don’t want to rent a vehicle, I would suggest you hire a private driver. Many have been recommended on the forum so perhaps try a search. Contact a few for quotes. Yes, there are many reliable drivers and transportstion companies.

The ride from SJO to the MA area is about 3 hours. The timing of a driver is more flexible than flying. He will be there waiting for you and drop you off right at your destination. Also there are baggage weight restrictions on SANSA which for some people can be an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

Thank you very much! I did not know about private drivers. Is it best to schedule these in advance or wait until you arrive to book with a driver at the airport?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

For rates, see https:/… , for ex.

Based on 4 ppl, + add $15 pp for your 5th and 6th passengers in your group.

Shared shuttles were reliable in our experience, but for 3+ adult travellers, private transfers make more financial sense. Make sure you are arranging a vehicle big enough for your luggage to go inside the car (not on the roof).

We also used a private transfer arranged by our accommodations. Compare the rates, conditions and book in advance, not leave it till the airport.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

We always just reserve private drivers through our hotels when we book them. There are also several drivers recommended on this board. The roads are in good shape though if you wanted to drive yourselves.

Grand Bend, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

Check out the Monkey Ride includes Wi-Fi have used before would be maybe 180.00 US

https://www.monkeyridecr.com/

Pura Vida

Mentioned in this post
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
832 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
6. Re: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2018, 21:36

Reply to: Travel from SJO to Manuel Antonio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted