We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

Maybe someone can shed some light:

1. As an example, you are a citizen of USA and Albania, permanently residing in USA.

2. You plan to purchase real estate in CR as a citizen of Albania therefore you enter CR with Albanian passport

3. When leaving you are asked to provide a US visa or permanent resident in order to board US bound plane.

At the last point, are you able to show your USA passport to CR border agents as a proof of residency in USA or would that violate some laws?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
8 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

I gather you are concerned about traveling with dual citizenship.

You can enter Costa Rica with whatever citizenship you prefer. I have no idea if Albanian citizens are subject to visa requirements for Costa Rica. However, US citizens are not and those who are LPR of the US do not require a visa. Use the passport that makes it easiest for you.

If you intend to purchase property, your citizenship does not matter. As an aside, you should not purchase real estate in your personal name. Do so through a Sociedad Anonima to protect your investment. Talk to your Costa Rican lawyer about doing so or inquire on a forum dedicated to residents (this is a travel forum).

If you have US citizenship and are flying to the US, you'd use your US passport or your LPR card, if you are a permanent resident. Otherwise, you'd be subject to US visa regulation.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

See the thing is(at least with other counties) you can not purchase a property as a citizen of another country if you haven't entered the country on that passport. In other words, you need to prove legal status(visitor, pr) for the country where you are purchasing real estate.

Do you know a proper forum for questions of this sort?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 06:06
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

You can try on one of the expat forums such as: http://www.arcr.net/

Canada
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

Orcr

But it really doesn't matter which one you use. You can enter with one and exit with the other.

My wife has duel Canadian and Costa Rican. When we went to Columbia I had to pay an entry tax (because all Canadians are rich I guesss) but she used her CR passport instead and didn't have to pay. Go figure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

Really? I didn't know you can exit on another passport. How would the confirm you havent overstayed if there is no entry stamp?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

LOL - my daughter has four (!) citizenships and I'm sure we've messed up at some point. Never had a problem, though.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

I suppose they could ask to see the entry stamp but they never have. We would just show it to them on the6other passport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country

Ah! so as long as the stamp is on the other passport you are all good! Thanks all!

Reply to: Purchasing real estate as a citizen of a third country
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted