We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location advice

scotland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Location advice

Sorry this question is the very type that attracts cricism but I’m spending an unhealthy amount of time planning a trip to Costa Rica and need help!

I had stumbled across Cahuita and it’s exactly what I want

Nice town with restaurants, ideally coastal, good number of rental properties and lots of opportunity for easy wildlife spotting

I love the idea of watching monkeys and sloths while wandering on a trail - or even sitting in garden

Problem is from UK the flight is over 20 hours and to add a further 4 hour bus trip even the next day starts to put me off

I had looked at Caribbean coast as I’d ideally wanted to come in September but that’s not a priority

Question is - are there any similar places - near trails with monkeys, sloths (or other cute animals- sorry!) but nearer an airport

Other coast near other main airport look more beach resorts with day trips to rainforest

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
RAFTING and KAYAKING
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Location advice

hello, costa rica is a very country so it is common to find monkeys and sloths around the country as well as other animals just by the roads, there is no silimar place to Cahuita, I suggest you to stay the night of arrival in San Jose the capital and the next day take the bus to cahuita, the route is beautiful through plantations of bananas and lots of nature.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location advice

You need to travel at least three hours from either airport to find what you're looking for. Although I don't understand everything in the last post, I agree that you should spend your first night near the airport to be ready for a scenic drive the next day.

If you fly into SJO, stay in Alahuela, not downtown San Jose. The traffic there would delay the beginning of your traveling to Cahuita or wherever else you're headed.

Yes, there is wildlife throughout Costa Rica, but you won't see it along the roads everywhere, especially not in the developed areas near the airports.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location advice

We just returned from 2 weeks in Costa Rica and our travel time from Vancouver Canada to San Jose was over 20 hours as well, including a long layover in Los Angeles. Believe me, Costa Rica is soooo worth it....it was the vacation of a lifetime for us. We spent our time on the Pacific coast, including 4 days in the Osa Peninsula and I understand that Cahuita is similar wildlife-wise.

Find a way to turn your travel into a better experience - we splurged for access to Delta Airlines' private lounge at LA airport for example - and don't let the long flights discourage you. You won't regret it, believe me.

Go and enjoy some Pura Vida!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location advice

Spend the night by the airport and do the Pacuare rafting on way to Cahuita. If not the bus ride will be well worth the trip there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location advice

We stayed in Cahuita a couple of times, we enjoyed it, so we went back.

Yes, it seems like a far place from the airport, but it is not a chore! You arrive, if you land in the afternoon, you spend the first night by the airport (we stayed here - https://www.adventure-inn.com ). The rate includes airport pick up and breakfast. The next morning, you can either take a bus to S. Caribbean from Mepe terminal in San Jose (in which case you might need to stay in SJ for the first night), add 4.5 hrs, about US$10 - you will be in Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, etc. Or make it easy and prepay a shared shuttle van like PleasureRideCR or Interbus (we used both), there is also Caribeshuttle. They pick you up from the hotel and deliver you right to the hotel on S. Caribbean, for about US$54 pp, incl. luggage. When you do not know where to go in a new place, it might be worth it, as they deliver you right to your accommodations. When we took PleasureRideCR, they had WiFi in the van, we were taking photos, e-mailing our family, talking to the driver, who offered to make a stop in a beautiful place in the mountains to take a picture, then we stopped at a roadside soda (small restaurant) for a snack and continued. It is really not that bad, and exciting to look around! During one such transfer, we went through rain, fog,, sun, more rain, etc. - all in the same ride!

You would not want Osa in September due to probability of rain. September is the best month, sunniest, in Cahuita. Go for it and do not worry about the transfer.

The transportation options are outlined here: https:/…transport-to-puerto-viejo.php .

Edited: 13 May 2018, 10:03
scotland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Location advice

Thanks

I’m persuaded !

Reply to: Location advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted