We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Turrialba - Driving

MO
Level Contributor
256 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
SJO to Turrialba - Driving

Our flight arrives SJO at 2:35pm. Given that time, are we OK to drive to Guayabo Lodge and get there before dark? Seems like we would, or very close to it.

2 replies to this topic
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
393 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJO to Turrialba - Driving

There are experts here that know more than I do, but we just drove it the other way, from Guayabo Lodge to SJO back in April. Now we weren't in a hurry and the San Jose traffic was heavy and we made some stops along the way so hard to say how long it would actually take if you hurried.

But you have to deplane, wait for baggage, go through customs and immigration, maybe get a SIM card for your phone to use Waze, and then...are you renting a car? That's an hour just to do the paperwork.

So I don't think it's a good idea to try to get there after you land. Spend the first night at an airport hotel (we stayed at the Hampton Inn, right next to the Vamos rent a car office so very convenient, I would recommend them both.) That way, you can relax and enjoy the drive - once you get out of the urban San Jose area Costa Rica is full of spectacular views and interesting towns. Besides, you will be driving a lot on 2-lane roads that become one lane roads at times for short bridge crossings. Not a place you want to be driving in a hurry to beat the darkness.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJO to Turrialba - Driving

Take a taxi to the other side of San Jose and stay at the Hyatt Place in Curridabat.https://m.hyatt.com/mt/sanjosepinares.place.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html Have your rental car delivered there the next morning and hit the road.

You could visit Irazu Vilcano or check out Cartago or do the route 224 loop around the Orosi Valley.

You could still arrive in Turrialba in time for lunch.

Reply to: SJO to Turrialba - Driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted