We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport

About to take my first trip to CR. I was planning on visiting Manuel Antonio on Friday and Saturday with my flight home Sunday leaving SJO at 2:30 pm.

Can I stay the night in MA and take an early shuttle bus that will get me to the airport by 12:00 on a Sunday? Or do I need to plan on staying in San Jose the night before my flight? If I take a shuttle or shared bus early in the morning which one should I use and where should I get on?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
3 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport

If your fllight leaves at 2.30PM from JSO...you most leave around 8 am if you leave by a shuttle bus or 9am if leaving by private car...

Have a nice ride

roadadvisor

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport

There are few shared shuttle vans companies in CR. From MA to the area closer to SJO airport we used an Interbus shared van.

They have 8 am pick up from MA area hotels (they will adjust the pick up time slightly once they know which place to pick you up from), for US$54 pp, approximate (!) travel time to SJ / SJO area is 4:30. See https://www.interbusonline.com/rates.php . They pick up directly from hotels. If you are unable to find your accommodations when booking on line, you would need to phone them (we sometimes had to try dialing multiple times, as their line was frequently busy) to check where the nearest pick up point could be for you, and finalize the booking over the phone. They send you a booking confirmation by e-mail. Our prior attempts to communicate with them by e-mail to obtain info were not successful, so booking on line or over the phone worked better. Shared shuttles need to be prepaid.

We used Interbus and other shared shuttles in CR many times. We find them a convenient and comfortable method of transportation. Note that the travel times are approximate. On one of our rides, different area of CR, it took us close to 6 hrs vs the estimated travel time of 4.5 hrs! Depends on traffic, weather, etc. It only happened once, and we were not rushing to catch a plane, so we were ok with it, but in your case, you might miss the flight.

Airlines require 3 hrs prior to the flight, so you need to be at SJO at 11:30 am. It is not always like that, but we once needed over 3 hrs at SJO due to an enormous security line, snaking multiple times, left-right, etc- through the back area of the departure terminal. It was in rain season, mid day.

Another option might be taking a directo public bus from Quepos terminal. You would need to figure out getting to it from your MA area accommodations first. E.g., a taxi or a local bus going in between MA and Quepos along the main Rd.

Many hotels offer private transportation and shared transfer services to their guests. Depending on where you are staying, you might ask them for a quote.

There are some private transfer rates MA to SJO you can see here: https:/… , for ex.

Have a good trip!

Edited: 11 May 2018, 21:37
Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
408 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport

Actually - if you plan to take a bus right to SJO, it is NOT a Directo that you want. It is the colectivo from Quepos. Most but not all of them stop on the road in front of the airport. Allow 3.5 to 4 hours for the trip.

None of the Directos stop near the airport, so if you take one you would have to take taxi or some other transportation back to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Reply to: Getting from Manuel Antonio to SJO Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted