We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing question

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
clothing question

Do we even need to bring pants to Costa Rica? Will be there in July and will be doing some hiking in Arenal and near Playa Samara. We will definitely be using mosquito repellant. Just wondering because we have a temporary discount pass into an outdoor store and trying to figure out if I need anything special before it expires.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
7 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing question

You can shop for lightweight, quick drying clothes and footwear (if you don't already have it). You'd only need long pants to help with mosquito protection. We see people on the trails all the time with long pants and long sleeves.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing question

Oh, the fun I can have with your first sentence...

On a serious note, yes, it can also get chilly at night / early in AM in Arenal.

One option might be to wear the same hiking pants on the plane to CR, the pants with a zipper mid thigh- to convert them into shorts when needed. Very convenient. Lots of pockets. They were not our main or only shorts, but it was good to have that option, too.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing question

We should define chilly. It rarely gets cooler than the 60s. Even many Floridians would be comfortable in shorts.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing question

I usually wear capri pants in the Arenal area. It's nice to have something other than shorts if you want to zipline (shorts can ride up and give you a Britney moment), horseback ride, protect against mosquitoes. We just got back and had one day that was windy and chilly where people wore light jackets, otherwise very temperate. I wear shorts at the beach. We've never brought any kind of specialty clothing, but I do like quick dry shoes, something like Keen's for when it's wet. You might also think about a headlamp or flashlight. You can buy mosquito repellant at those places too usually.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing question

When I say chilly, I mean that everyone we saw in August wore long pants and long sleeves (e.g., rain jackets) after dusk, looking for frogs, for ex. With lots of repellent. I still got bit.

For breakfast in Arenal, many other guests came in fleece tops and rain jackets on top. We had t-shirts, thin rain jackets or a t-shirt and a thin long sleeve type top, but during the day, it got very hot, so shorts and tank tops, plus running shoes with a good thread for hiking.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing question

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!