We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

I'm planning my first trip to CR this August with my family of 6 (me, wife and 4 "adult" children). It looks like our flight will arrive and SJO at 8:42 PM (20:42). Our first stay is a hotel in Bajos del Toro n the Poas/Juan Castro area. We are arranging a private transfer. According to Google Maps that trip takes about 1:20. I figure that with passport control/customs and just generally getting ourselves pulled together after getting off the plane and finding our driver, we won't get out of the airport until 10:00 PM (22:00) or 10:30 PM (22:30). That puts us at our hotel around Midnight. Its a 1st class hotel, so I'm sure there will be someone there to greet us even if we arrive that late. But it will definitely be late.

I'm wondering if we would be better off staying that night at a hotel near to the airport and getting started early the next day and head up country or if we would be better off just slogging it out to our first destination so we're there when we wake up the next day ready to roll.

Any insights or suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a few other trip things about which I will seek advice, but I'll put them in a separate thread.

Thanks,

Farmguy78

7 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

Ordinarily I would say to stay near the airport. In your case, though I don't think it would be worth the hassle of checking in to a hotel just for one night. I say this because (1) you have a private driver and (2) your first stop is within a few hours driving and there will be no traffic.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

Nice rice....Auguist most of the time is not that wet BUT during night time up in thehills and around BAjos del Toro an be wet...not crazy...but can get foggy .

IMO even that you can make it there the same night...maybe nice to spend that first night relaxing...many hotel choises around SJO...Hampton inn and suite...Holiday express....Los Mangos...Marriot Coutyard...Hotel Aeropuerto most of them just a few minutes from SJO...

roadvaisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

I would spend the 1st night near the airport so you can get to sleep at a more reasonable hour. The sun’s coming up at 5-5:30 am no matter where you sleep but at least a hotel by the airport won’t have howler monkeys to wake you at the crack of dawn. You’ll also save a small fortune by staying near the airport than at El Silencio Lodge. And I wouldn’t trust google for travel times - check directly with your hotel.

There are lots of good choices less than 15 minutes from the airport. What are your criteria?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

With a private transfer just head straight there. Better to wake up where you want to be.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

If you were driving yourself, I'd say stay near the airport, but since you have a driver, my inclination would be to just get in the car and go so you can start doing things the next morning. We did that on one of our trips. Had a flight delay and didn't get in until late but the driver was waiting for us, and it was nice to wake up the next morning and already be there. Really just your own personal preference though.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

Thank you for the very nice advice. If I swapped out a night at El Silencio for a night at a hotel near the airport I would definitely be saving money. But more likely what happens is I end up adding the SJO hotel and extending the trip by a day - thereby costing me MORE money. Haha! Thanks again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?

Nice way to see it....by the way you are WELCOME

roadadvsior

Reply to: Late Arrival Time in SJO - Stay Nearby or Get Going?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted