We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Birders

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Birders

We just did a trip to the Arenal area and saw more beautiful birds than we ever have before - so many honeycreepers and tanagers. Are they there year round? I don't remember seeing so many in the past, so I wondered if it's due to the time of year. I know there are birding experts on here who will know. :) Also saw tons of toucans at Selva Verde, I believe it's nesting season right now. We were lucky enough to have a keel billed toucan nest right by our cabin. Got some great photos.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Selva Verde Lodge
Selva Verde Lodge
758 Reviews
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Birders

Any number of things could contribute to increased numbers of birds. Even for resident birds, change in season can bring altitudinal migration. Cold weather systems can cause highland birds to move downslope and especially warm weather can cause the opposite to happen for foothill species. Some trees produce fruit at different times which will affect bird traffic at a specific location even if they stay in the same general area year-round. And sometimes it's just luck.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Birders

Also, mating season can make the males of the species especially frisky and visible.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Birders

Ah, thanks, Rac. When exactly is mating season? The feeder at AOL was particularly good this trip. Saw both males and females there. My new favorite is the emerald tanager.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Birders

Oh you lucky girl! Now stop rubbing salt all over me, please!! And please don't jinx that Emerald Tanager, I really want to get a good photo of this bird!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Birders

xelas, you would have been in heaven! I just uploaded my pics to Arenal Observatory Lodge; you can see my little emerald tanager there under my review if you want a peek. He posed nicely for me.

We had blue gray tanagers, green honeycreepers, red legged honeycreepers, and the emerald tanager all there at the same time. Then the big oropendulas came in and scared everyone away. Also had a toucan in a nearby tree, chestnut mandibled or what's the new name? Yellow throated? That guy changes his name so often I can't keep up. AOL has a new feature called "The Nest" - a huge tower you can climb, about 100 feet up. Nice views from the top. Saw aracaris from there.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa
Arenal Observatory Lodge...
2,236 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Birders

Mating season can vary by bird. Generally February-May is my understanding but of course there are exceptions.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Birders

Thanks, Rac. Our guide at Selva Verde said that the migratory species take off in May so that April was a good time to visit. I was so happy he pointed out that nesting cavity to us. Almost every time we went by the toucan was sitting there or going in and out of the hole. We saw about 10 toucans near the dining hall there.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Verde Lodge
Selva Verde Lodge
758 Reviews
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Birders

And the migration south to north; that would bring a lot of migratory birds into the country.

Lovely photos, and detailed report; I am specially happy to read the breakfast was tasty. How did you contact Nestor? Would appreciate details even if by PM. I hope that some birds will hang around till July :-))

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Birders

Two guys that love and knows about birds...Xelas and Racandee...I trust anything they post about birds.

roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Birders

Me too; they are my go to guys.

Nestor works for AOL, xelas. We had Ivan at Selva Verde and just loved him. He found a snowy cotinga for us and a crested hummingbird - coquette I think.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Verde Lodge
Selva Verde Lodge
758 Reviews
Reply to: Question for Birders
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted