We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincón de La Vieja National Park

Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Rincón de La Vieja National Park

How similar is Rincón de La Vieja National Park to Yellowstone National Park? We've been to Yellowstone (and also Rotorua in New Zealand), so are not interested in going to Rincón if it's mostly similar to those. We will be in Costa Rica in mid-November and have six days not yet accounted for. (The other four will be in San Jose and for visiting the Doka Coffee Estate and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.) I'm trying to decide whether to spend all six of those days in the Arenal and Monteverde areas or to add somewhere else, such as Rincón de La Vieja. We fly home from Liberia.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
La Paz Waterfall Gardens
La Paz Waterfall Gardens
2,611 Reviews
Vara Blanca, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
12 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

I like Rincon de la Vieja, but it is not within the same ballpark as Yellowstone. Not even close. Maybe more like Lassen Volcanic with different vegetation.

Mentioned in this post
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

i think we'll pass on Rincon. It sounds like there's enough to do and see in the Arenal and Monteverde areas to keep us busy for 6 days. I'm thinking of 4 right in Arenal and 2 in Monteverde. Does that sound good?

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

Yes, that's a popular split of your time. I would make sure to have more than one full day in Monteverde, though. In my opinion, two nights aren't enough of you're leaving the second morning.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

Rincon is part of the Guanagaste volcanic mountains....Arenal...Tenorio...Miravalles and Rincon...very similar vegetation...mostly cloud forest...

Good idea Monteverde and Arenal

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Tenorio Lodge
Tenorio Lodge
354 Reviews
Bijagua de Upala, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

We can stay till about 2 pm on the second day in Monteverde (and then need to drive to the Arenal area).

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

I agree with daisy; I would try to have two nights in Monteverde if you can. Otherwise probably not worth the time to drive there.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

We'll have two nights and one full day and the other till 2 pm. Would it be better to plan on 3 nights in Monteverde and 3 in Arenal? I got the impression that there's a lot more to do in the Arenal area than in Monteverde.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

There isn't a huge difference in the number of activities between Arenal and Monteverde. There are no hot springs and you can't go rafting up on the mountain. If you enjoy hiking, there are a lot of great trails in Monteverde and plenty of adventure activities.

The weather will likely be very rainy when you're there. You may not get to see the volcano. It gets really chilly in Monteverde when the sun doesn't come out and it's windy. That scares away some people.

You can do an image search and see if the cloud forest beckons you. Consider how things look in both places in the rain. A full day and a half is probably enough in Monteverde but decide if you want to go there at all and also consider what Arenal will be like in the likely rain.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

I know that November isn't an ideal time for this, but we are tagging onto to a Habitat for Humanity build that my husband and his friend are doing in El Salvador in early November. Which place do you think would be least adversely affected by possible weather?

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rincón de La Vieja National Park

I've not been there myself but I believe the Southern Caribbean coast is relatively dry in November.

However, as long as you're prepared for rain, you should probably visit the areas that interest you the most. If you're hiking in a dense forest, the canopy will offer protection. I would say to travel with good quality rain gear and do what you can.

I would also recommend that you hire drivers or take shared shuttles. I wouldn't want to drive myself this time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Reply to: Rincón de La Vieja National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted