We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach in manual antonio

Santa Clara...
2 posts
Save Topic
best beach in manual antonio

which beach do you recommend in MA? I will have a renal car. If I drive to the beach, is there a place to park? Do I need to go with a company? Typically I bring a car key and a phone in my beach bag and leave a wallet in a car. while I am swimming, i leave my beach bag on sand. But I read that you do not want to do that in a public beach in Costa Rica.

Also about driving to Arenal from MA, I see there are two ways - HW 142 via San Ramon and HW 141 via Naranjo. Which road is less winding? HW 142 seems more straight but I do not know how winding and narrow road is. Any recommended driving direction? I am willing to take additional 30 minutes or so if there is an easier road to take. This is my first time to rent a car in a foreign country. I am nervous about driving in CA and I do not speak Spanish. Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Ramon
San Ramon
Canton of San Ramon, Costa Rica
Naranjo
Naranjo
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Spanish by the River - Turrialba
Spanish by the River...
36 Reviews
Turrialba, Costa Rica
2 replies to this topic
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,453 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach in manual antonio

There's a beautiful beach inside the national park. You don't need to go with a company. We don't leave valuables in the car or on the sand. Petty theft can be a problem anywhere. I wouldn't bother bringing a phone, wallet, or anything that could be tempting. Leave that in your room safe if one is provided. We carry our keys and cash in a waterproof wallet/bag that we got on Amazon.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach in manual antonio

1. The best beach is inside the national park which requires a $16 admission fee. It is gorgeous but unimproved with toilet facilities but no beach chairs or food. Bring water.

2. You can park near the beach but frankly it’s much simpler to leave the car at your jotel and take the local bus or a taxi to the beach as ghis is a dead end road at the park entrance with limited parking & tons of traffic.

3. You do not need to go with a company to visit the national park although you will spot far more wildlife with a guide.

4. If you’re traveling solo bring a car key and a small amount of cash in a waterproof pouch with a wrist strap or neck cord and wear it while swimming. Leave the phone & camera at your hotel, NOT in the car. Leave nothing in the car. If you leave your beach bag on the sand there’s a 50-50 chance it will disappear - either human or monkey thieves. The monkeys are especially good at stealing sunglasses, keys & anything metal. The only exception to this is if you get a pacsafe bag that you can chain around a tree trunk. Just keep in mind that pacsafe products are not designed to defeat machetes. Only other options is to befriend a family & ask them to watch your stuff while you swim but I wouldn’t rely on that option.

5. Both routes from Arenal are two-lane winding routes & both are scenic. I’d take the San Ramon route as it’s faster & it’s a long drive from Arenal to MA.

6. One help if you’re nervous about driving in CR is to pront out a list of road signs in Spanish & study it before arrival. Keep in mind that Hwy 27 is a toll road. The toll booths will make change but only if you have small bills.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 01:30
Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Ramon
San Ramon
Canton of San Ramon, Costa Rica
Reply to: best beach in manual antonio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted