We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in July

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in July

Good afternoon,

Was hoping to visit Costa Rica in July with my gf for about a week and got concerned because it's labeled as rainy season. Should this concern me?

Looking to visit La Fortuna/Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio.

In La Fortuna, would be visiting Arenal Volcano National Park and doing the Sky Adventures Sky Trek zip line. We'd also like to see the La Fortuna Waterfall.

In Monteverde we'd like to hike the Cloud Forest Reserve and the Kikajou night hike.

In Manuel Antonio we'd like to hike Manuel Antonio National Park to visit the beach within the park. Additionally, a half day trip out to Nauyaca waterfalls would be lovely. Other than that we'd just bounce around town eating and drinking.

Anything I should cut out to save time?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
549 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Sky Adventures
Sky Adventures
1,417 Reviews
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
La Fortuna Waterfall
La Fortuna Waterfall
7,752 Reviews
Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge
Monteverde Cloud Forest...
553 Reviews
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio National Park
Manuel Antonio National...
959 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
4 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in July

You can do those three locations in eight days if you fly in early and leave late in the day. Otherwise, if you have to spend your first and last nights near the airport, it may be too many. I don't recommend going to an area unless you have at least two full days there.

July is the green season but the rains usually aren't that bad then. You should be able to do what you want if you're willing to work around the showers.

First, consider flights to see if you can squeeze in three locations. Then investigate hotels and transport. Will you rent a vehicle, take shared shuttles or hire private drivers?

The very last thing to deal with are the activities. Most can be arranged once you're there. One exception is a volunteer tour at Proyecto ASIS animal rescue near Arenal - they book up in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Proyecto Asis
Proyecto Asis
1,508 Reviews
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in July

I would not let the weather stop me from visiting in July. You should have a nice mix of sun and showers. I would however consider just 2 areas, for reasons given by mimdaisy.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in July

I wouldn't have a problem going in July. You might get some rain, but things go on as planned in CR even in the rain. We've only had ziplining cancelled due to lightning. There's something they have in July called the little summer that sometimes makes less rain. We went to the Osa in July and didn't get a drop so you never know. I agree with Ally and would lean towards doing only two locations in a short time frame like that. It takes a while to get from place to place.

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in July

During the month of July we have a weather factor that we calll it Little Summer of San Juan...is a break on the rainy season...and weather becomes as a great summer... remember that we are under global warming and anything can happens....

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Reply to: 7 days in July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted