We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic Church?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Catholic Church?

We will be in Placencia/Maya Beach this weekend! We are looking for a Catholic church for Sunday services and have access to a car - any suggestions?

Thank you!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic Church?

Yes, go to Seine Bight, this is a traditional Garifuna community between Maya Beach and Placencia and I believe that they still insist on Latin Mass there.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic Church?

I didn't see this one in time to advise re this weekend. Most of the masses are in English although some of the hymns are in Garifuna.

Be a little cautious about the mass time though. Officially it starts at 08:00 am, unofficially it starts at 08:30 and usually gets going at around 8:45 am.

Regards

Ralph

Houston, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Catholic Church?

What is the name of the catholic church there?

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Catholic Church?

St Alphonsus Catholic Church - Seine Bight Village, located on the beach

Mandeville
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Catholic Church?

My husband and I were in Belize for two weeks and found CocoPlum Resort in Maya Beach right before Seine Bright. We're considering retirering there but couldn't find a Catholic Church! This would deffinatly be a deal breaker for us. Anyway, I saw your post about St. Alphonsus Catolic Church but can't find anything on the web about it. Can you help me find it?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catholic Church?

They probably don't, and might never, have a website. Come back down and pay them a visit.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catholic Church?

Contact the people at Cocoplum or your real estate agent who showed you around and ask-they can provide you with the info you require about churches

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catholic Church?

St Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church in Seine Bight has an 8:30 mass every Sunday. We went yesterday and it started about 20 minutes late, which is usually the case with things down here so it's a good thing we expected that.

What we totally didn't expect was that the entire Mass was presided over by a female layperson. It was actually a surprisingly good service that followed the entire Catholic rite, but decided not to participate in Communion because of the odd circumstance.

Not sure if their priest retired, left, or was sick, but it was nice to see a devoted and thriving diverse Roman Catholic community in this Garifuna town.

9. Re: Catholic Church?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Placencia