We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City to Placencia

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City to Placencia

We are going to be in Placencia at the end of October and we are thinking of renting a car for a few days to get from BC to Placencia and maybe go to the Tikal ruins on our own. Can you go to Tikal ruins without a guide and is it safe enough to go there as a couple and is it a good idea to rent a car in BC or take a first class bus if they have one or water taxi?  Can you rent a car in Placencia and then go to Tikal. I know there is alot in my question but I am wondering all of this.Appreciate any help and advice.

St Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
558 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City to Placencia

I would recommend the flight from Belize City to Placencia and not try to drive it.

You can rent a car in Placencia, not far from the airport and go exploring from there.

The flight into Placencia is beautiful but it's a rough drive on their primitive roads.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City to Placencia

Drive from Belize City to Placencia takes 3 hrs, the last 30 mins on bumpy road. Not a good idea to drive in Guate and its a very long drive from Placencia to Tikal. You can visit Tikal, its a 1.5 hr drive from the border or can fly into Flores from Belize Intl.

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize City to Placencia

Thank you all for this but because we are going to be in Ambergris Caye for a month I need to be on a budget for Placencia. I figured a car is 55.00 a day and I heard they are paving that road. Also I thought instead of this way if there was a first class bus that goes to BC to Placnecia that maybe we could take that. I know you can fly there but then that gets expensive. I thought that I heard over this website that people have went into Guatemala by themselves.

St Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
558 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize City to Placencia

I would not plan on them paving the road before October. They have been saying that for years!

But I know the new Government has made NEW promises. But nothing happens very quickly in Belize!!!

Belize
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize City to Placencia

GOB Signs $25 million Contract for Paving Placencia Road. (July 11, 2008)

www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php…

"Placencia is one of Belize’s most popular tourist destinations but the road there is one of the country’s worst. And that is why it was a big deal this morning when finally Government signed a contract with CISCO Construction for the paving of the Placencia Road. GOB will spend $25 million to pave 23 miles. 4 Ministers, including the Prime Minister, attended this morning’s ceremony at the Inn at Robert’s Grove. Minister of Works Boots Martinez says construction will begin immediately.

Hon. Anthony Boots Martinez, Minister of Works

“Actual physical work begins next week. You will see even throughout the whole road that they will be working simultaneously. So the upgrading process will begin almost immediately. 23 miles of complete paving of road and you have about 7 miles of sidewalks in various villages. So it is 7 miles of sidewalk and drainage in some of the villages. It is a two year contract but that two year entails, if you have terrible inclement weather and so but I think this project can be completed between 14 and 16 months.”

St Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
558 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize City to Placencia

This is great news!!

Thanks for the update!

Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize City to Placencia

We're heading down to Placencia over the holidays and will provide a first hand update.

8. Re: Belize City to Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 14:27
Get answers to your questions about Placencia