We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

Perth, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

We are a group of 5 adults trying to decide between the 4 lodges above. Will be coming from San Pedro.

Should we rent a car on mainland or use transfer service ? Are they similar distance from Belize City ?

Would like to do day trips. Is one of them better situated for doing this ? Would it be good to drive ourselves or use lodge trips ?

Thanks !

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
1. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

If there are 5 of you, then the rental car, as expensive as it is, would be your best bet. That way you could do your own driving, stay at sights as long as you want, and save quite a bit off from the prices that the lodges will charge. I'd say that the driving time is all about the same. What sights did you want to see? I highly recommend Mountain Pine Ridge and Caracol, and Macaw Bank and TRL are on the way there.

I love DuPlooy's, and their Botanic Gardens are fantastic. Black Rock is beautiful and secluded. Those 2 are west of San Ignacio, around 20 to 30 minutes. They are closer to Xuanantunich, one of the nicer ruins in the area.

I'd read some of their reviews here on TA, and see which you like the best.

Good luck!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,490 posts
262 reviews
2. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

Definitely read reviews and know what you want at your lodge. We chose duPlooy's because I cannot resist a botanical garden. But, you don't need to stay there to enjoy it, anyone can go visit the garden. If I were to do it over again, though, I would choose a lodge with a pool. I would have really enjoyed a late afternoon swim after a busy day hiking and exploring.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

Du Plooys has a swim beach on the river, it is a steep walk to get to it but nice, they have sand there too. They have a VERY nice cottage ideal for five people.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,490 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

Belizequeen: I'm sorry I did not mention the swim beach. We were there during a very rainy time and the beach was submerged/river currents too strong for swimming. The path to the beach is steep but not very long.

We stayed at the large cassita which is ideal for 5 people. Excellent food there and we loved the trips and their guides.

Loveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
5. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

I would recommend Table Rock as one of the best jungle resorts ever built. Awesome rooms and the food is unbelizeable!

All of these resorts are good ones, but Table Rock service and friendly people are the best in my opinion.

Green Cove Springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

I LOVE TABLE ROCK!!!! I rented a vehicle when I was there, for a week, and found that other then driving to and from the airport, I didn't need it. It seemed like a waste of about $500! Colleen & Alan (Table Rock owners) have a shuttle service which would have been a lot easier and much less expensive! Next time I go I'm definitely not renting a car.

I can definitely tell you that the service there was awesome and their staff really friendly. All the sites that I wanted to visit were also relatively close (there really wasn't anything I was interested in near Belize City). I recommend going to Rio On Pools & ATM Cave!!! You get a great combination of relaxation at one and adventure at the other. I got great pictures at both.

Table Rock also offers adventure packages which include travel, so once again no need for a rental!

I can assure you that you will not go wrong by choosing Table Rock!!!

-Katie

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

As the owner of Macaw Bank, I can assure you that you will receive personalized service, and very nice food. We also offer river tubing to the Botanical gardens from here, which is one mile down river.

We also have a very nice river side beach, and are really in the jungle. No steep bluffs to climb as the property slopes gradually to the river.

I also encourage people to rent vehicles as does Dr. Feelawesom. It will bring a substantial savings on many tours, and many of the more interesting sights do not require a guide or are even offered.

We are also within close proximity of many cool activities, and sights of particular historical iterest, and natural beauty.

8. Re: Black Rock Lodge, Macaw Bank or Table Rock or DuPlooys ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 10:16