We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

Los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

Going through the should we/shouldn' we take malaria meds for Cayo..better just to check rooms and apply Deet. So many people say there are no mossies in that area...We'll be there March 20-24

Thanks for any updates-

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

check out cdc recommends

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

No rains, no mossies and usually dry that time of year.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
278 reviews
3. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

There won't be too many around then, and bug spray does work. The malaria here is not the deadly kind, and in 7 years, I've only known 2 people who have gotten it, and they were way back in the jungle when they did.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

Thanks - The CDC always wants you to take every med you can if there's any incidence; That's their responsibility. I think we'll go with spray; We went to east Africa in the dry season and never saw one mosquito. Several months into dry season is pretty safe.

Appreciate the input.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

We'll be visiting Cayo from April 16-19 and considering what (if any) anti-malaria drug to take. Would these dates still be considering the dry season and (relatively) mosquito free?

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

April and thru to mid May are very dry season. The rainy season starts June 1, but rains can come before or after that date,

Edited: 30 March 2011, 05:56
Los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

Just back - one heavy overnight shower. I never saw a mosquito, but we thought we heard one in our cabana; my husband might have gotten one bite, but we're not even sure. I wasn't bitten.

Decided to take Chloraquine after all. But I'm going to call the travel doc and see if I should stop the sequence. I think it's considered a good idea to take that lower level, classic med in areas where it still works (Small guns as opposed to big ones like Malarone, said the doc). Sort of like taking sulfa or pen if you can, rather than Cipro.

I'm sure April will be relatively mossie free.

Good travels.

Dublin, California
7 posts
8. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

We are going to be in San Ignacio for about 36 hours cave tubing and hiking a little bit May 22 and 23rd. What do you think about malaria meds for that? Can we get Chloraquine in Belize easliy if we decide to take it? Our doctor gave us Malarone.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

Staying in Belize @the end of August. Will the deet be needed then?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Current malaria, dengue, in Cayo?

maybe, maybe not....take it in case you need it.