We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct

Caribbean
Level Contributor
65 posts
Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct

We are staying at Ka'ana next month and are planning on renting a car and driving ourselves. Has anyone done this? Good idea? Bad idea? Any other tips for the region would be appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,727 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct

Are you staying at Ka'ana the whole trip? What activities interest you? Are you planning to do tours through the resort or independently? Those questions all play into whether we might think it's worth having a car.

If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, tour, food, and lodging specifics.

In the mean time here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.

Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
2. Re: Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct

Considering where you're staying, I think it's a good idea.

Without a car, your transportation options are buses (old school buses which are cheap, but stay mainly on the highway), taxis and transfer services (expensive private shuttles). Depending on which tours you join, transportation might be included with the tour.

A car gives you more freedom for seeing the region, and going to San Ignacio for meals at night. If you want to drive to Tikal in Guatemala, use Crystal Car Rental because they allow cars to go to Guatemala (give them prior notice so they can prepare the paperwork). You might be interested in seeing the Mennonite community at Spanish Lookout.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 09:26
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
45 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct

Renting a car is great if you are booking all tours yourself directly with a private guide or guiding services with a company that offers that service. All tour operators offer transportation in their tours for your resort. so renting a car would mean paying daily for having it parked at your resort's car park. Ka Ana is a good location where you would be picked up by all operators without additional fees. However, if you are planning to move to the south of Belize - Hopkins, placencia, the rental car will be very useful for this drive plus other places around there. Look at trip advisor for companies and tours to do in San Ignacio, I always find first hand experiences from travelers like yourself better than blogs, since Some blogs promote tours or companies that give them commissions or other benefits with tours.

Ask for your personalized services or particular interests you may have, contact the tour operators, you will find some give genuine advice as to what's best for you, without pushing to just sell tour packages.

Reply to: Is renting a car recommended or no? Staying at Ka'ana in Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted