We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying within walking distance to SI town

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
319 posts
31 reviews
Staying within walking distance to SI town

Does it make sense to stay walking distance (or quick cheap cab ride) to the actual town of SI. We're only going to be in the area for 3 night (with only 2 full days). One of those days, we'll do the ATM tour.. I was looking at Black Rock Lodge which looks beautiful, but I'm afraid it's so far away from town that my husband (who is not a relaxer) will feel trapped and not enjoy it.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
666 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

We had that same decision and we decided to stay in town. Although the jungle lodges look great, we like being able to eat at different places and pick up on the vibe of a town. Although the trip is not til next year we've made our reservations at Maya Bella Downtown hotel which is in the middle of everything.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
886 posts
274 reviews
2. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

To decide, you really have to examine why you are going to San Ignacio. If you want to maximize your opportunities to see flora and fauna, including birds so spectacular even non-birders take note, then choose Black Rock Lodge. If you just want to hang out in a funky town and go on the ATM adventure, stay in town. If you opt for the natural setting, know that at BRL they will book you on an ATM tour--many fellow guests did and loved it and they also offer many other excursions, including ones that depart on foot or by canoe or kayak from the spectacular lodge site.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,487 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

When we were in the area several years ago, we opted for San Ignacio Resort Hotel. Close enough to walk to town, but, not in town. Though the walk back up the hill to the hotel can be brutal if it's hot. I think it was a good choice. Nice hotel, pretty grounds. Definitely not a true jungle lodge, but, a nice comprimise.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
4. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

I prefer to be in town, but I've lived in a jungle so don't need to do it again.

What about splitting -- one night at Black Rock, and two at San Ignacio (or vice versa).

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

I am partial to the jungle lodges for the sounds of the creatures, aroma and sight of all the flora, ambiance, experience, etc. SI town is small, but interesting and welcoming. I think most visitors opt for the opportunity to stay in the jungle.

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

I agree with Jean and another vote for San Ignacio Resort Hotel. We stayed there and loved that Green Iguana project tour was onsite and Cahal Pech ruins walking distance. Also loved being close to lots of food choices, the outdoor market and a great steakhouse restaurant onsite.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

All these people claim to be destination experts ,don't know what kind ,all what they are doing is destination disasters .people are not creating jobs for the locals and they seem to only bring business to there own people and not the locals, Local Tour Guides,Local Tour Operators are calling out for this forum to be close down as there is no help in the local economy in Belize because of these DESTINATIONS DISASTERS.we know it's a social media where everyone can voice there concerns but to benefit the locals and the country's economy

mess your own country,your tour guides your tour operators bot some one else be fair.

Mogadore, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

"Local Tour Guides,Local Tour Operators are calling out for this forum to be close down as there is no help in the local economy in Belize because of these DESTINATIONS DISASTERS"

BZMtours1 - Not sure why you would want people to stop talking about their experiences with local businesses when they travel. The majority of the posts are personal reviews of the great service they received and I for one use their feedback to decide where to spend my vacation dollars. Best I can tell, they rate YOUR services very well.....should I not listen to them?

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

I stayed at Rainforest Haven Inn, which is in town. Great place, and affordable. There are a number of good restaurants in town all in walking distance

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
666 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: Staying within walking distance to SI town

Do you have any restaurant recommendations? We like the small, local places where we can meet people. We prefer local specialties. Our favorites on Caye Caulker were the beachside grills and the small places with a couple of tables and would like to find comparable in SAN Ignacio.

Edited: 16 April 2017, 10:20