We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

We're wondering what kinds of options are available to get between Belize City and San Ignacio.

I've seen that busses are really cheap...but 2 hours on an old bus wit ha bunch of strangers isn't very appealing.

On the other hand, we aren't willing to spend $200+ for a private driver or rental car - that money could better go toward a tour

Is there something in between? Maybe a cheap small shuttle?

24 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,488 posts
10 reviews
11. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

We rented from them in January. We had an SUV, late model, not many miles. I didn't rent it myself, but, my friend who did, said you pay more for late model vehicles for less miles. It certainly wasn't cheap, but, the car was fine. No hassles or issues.

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
2 reviews
12. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

Does anyone know how late the buses run? We arrive at 4pm. How long will it take to go through customs and get to the bus station? We are heading to San Ignacio and would like to do it by bus.

Thanks

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
13. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

It usually takes me no more than 45 minutes to get through Immigration, baggage claim and Customs (faster with only carry-on).

The taxi ride to Belize City is about 20 minutes (BZ$50 or US$25 per taxi).

So you should be able to get a bus at 5:30 or 6pm. Buses run every 30 minutes until 9pm. The trip to SI is around 2 hours (depends on the number of stops along the way).

Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
14. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

Did you rent from Crystal? were they reputable? (have seen the company mentioned here a couple times, but just not sure....)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,623 posts
331 reviews
15. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

Liza, I'd consider splashing out for a private driver for that run. It would be more expensive but might take half the time when you account for the taxi trip, waiting for the next bus, and the increased time for a bus that makes stops en route to drop off and pick up passengers, then getting a taxi or walking to your lodging once you get to San Ignacio. You might arrive at 6pm instead of 8pm and it would be from the airport exit to your lodging in one fell swoop. MrB's transportation website has lots of links and schedules as well as contact information for some of the private drivers in Belize. www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,488 posts
10 reviews
16. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

We rented from Crystal this past January. No problems. Returned it to their office in Belize City, not the international airport, and,they took us by van to the Municipal airstrip for our flight to Ambergris.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
670 posts
89 reviews
17. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

I agree with hopefulist. My mother had a saying “penny wise but pound foolish” and I keep that in mind when traveling. We’ve set up a private driver, teddy bear Shuttles, to pick us up when we fly in and drop us off at our hotel door in San Ignacio. We’ll also have lunch on the way and may stop at the Zoo. The convenience and less worry/hassle is worth it after a long day of traveling where we had to be at our home airport at 4am.

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
6 reviews
18. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

For shuttle option, I recommend TeddyBear http://www.teddybearshuttle.com/

Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
19. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

Were you travelling solo? I checked their fb site and it says $150 for 1-4 people.

Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
20. Re: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?

I’m looking at doing the same thing, but travelling solo. I see Viator offers one-way shared shuttle from PGIA to San Ignacio for $58.30CAD (my currency, sorry, ha ha!). This is the cheapest I’ve found so far.

Reply to: advice on traveling between Belize City and San Ignacio?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted