We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

Washington
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

Hi Everyone, It has been 8 years and I seem to have forgotten how I got from the airport to Cave's Branch. We will be arriving on a Saturday at 6:30 in the morning. I remember the airport being a zoo if I am remembering correctly. From what I read I am going to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station in Belize City ($25 per taxi?) and does this bus station have a name? Is the bus station safe with luggage and cell phones? From there I need to take the bus heading toward Belmopan...any idea which bus I should look for? Is there a schedule somewhere posted? Any idea the frequency of the buses that travel this route? It sounds if I take the right bus I can stay on and then get dropped off on the Hummingbird Hwy...or we may need to transfer where we will have the option to either change to a different bus or take a taxi ($25 us?). Any advice/tips appreciated. Also, any idea a typical fare if we were to take a taxi from the airport all the way to caves branch? Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
1. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

A taxi from the airport to the bus terminal in BC is still BZ$50 (or US$25) per taxi not per person.

The bus termial was known as Novelo's, named after one of the major bus companies in Belize. Novelo's bus company no longer exists, but the bus terminal is still called Novelo's by many people.

The bus terminal is safe, but always be aware, and keep an eye on your luggage.

Look for a bus with a "BENQUE" sign in the front window. Benque is the final destination of the bus, but it stops anywhere along the route, including Belmopan bus terminal.

Buses depart every 30 minutes. You don't really need a schedule -- just get the next bus going from whichever bus company. Just get on the bus and find a seat. Luggage is usually placed at the back of the bus -- try to sit near it and keep an eye on it. The conductor will collect the fare after the bus leaves the terminal.

If going to Caves Branch, you have to get off at Belmopan and change to a bus going to Dangriga. Same routine for getting on the bus, but tell the driver or conductor to drop you at Caves Branch. I like to sit near the front of the bus so they don't forget. And I've often been allowed to put my pack near the front door for convenience.

You could get a taxi from the Belmopan bus terminal -- ask a few for the fare and see if it's worth it.

Taxi fare from the airport -- just a guess, but around US$100???

Lots of info on this site...

https://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Edited: 13 May 2017, 02:27
Washington
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

Great, Thank you! Are you also familiar with getting to Chetumal from Caves Branch by chance? It sounds like we can catch the bus on Hummingbird Hwy, back to Belize City and then transfer to an ADO bus? Does it say ADO? Is there a particular bus that we can look for that will be comfortable for the journey? Should we expect about 3 hours for this journey? The hotel wants $800 US to get us to the border so we are really looking for an alternative!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
3. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

The ADO buses do not go to Chetumal, so cross of that option. If you were going to Bacalar, it would be an option.

The best option to Chetumal would be the Marlin Espadas bus that runs from Flores to Chetumal daily. It makes a stop at Belmopan (at the bus terminal I think, but contact them to confirm), then continues to Chetumal via Belize City. From CB, just go out to the highway and flag down a bus -- it will stop at Belmopan. The Espadas fare is something like US$25, and takes about 4 hours.

Another option is a bus from Belmopan to BC (about BZ$6 and 1.5 hours), then change to a Belizean bus to Chetumal. Buses from BC to Chetumal run every 45 minutes or so -- the fare is about BZ$14, and the trip is about 4 hours. From CB, some buses might go all the way to BC (James Bus Line), but others will terminate at Belmopan, so you'll have to change.

All the Belizean buses are old school buses, so not very comfortable.

You can find contact details for Espadas in the BelizeBus link in my first post.

If you actually want to get back to Tulum or further north (and bypass Chetumal), then the ADO bus is the best option from BC.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
331 reviews
4. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

When we were heading to Caves Branch years ago we got off the bus in Belmopan and negotiated for a taxi from there. That would save you the long, potentially hot walk in from the highway to the lodge - pushing a mile, maybe? Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

Arriving that early in the morning don't think you want to catch the public transport would be a little hectic worst if you have not gotten a good sleep.I would highly recommend getting a transfer. MisterB266 has provided you with the http://belizebuswordpress.com/ and has many options of tranfer service that you can get an idea of the price they charge to Caves Branch . Here is also a link tolivebelize.com/live-belize-private-transfe… am certain they would have better rate since they are located in the Stann Creek District and not far from Cave branch.You won't find them on belizebuswordpress since it is not updated regularly.

Edited: 14 May 2017, 02:54
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
6. Re: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch

Y6386KYangell, the BelizeBus site is continuously updated as necessary.

Reply to: Arriving early! Airport/bus question to Cave's Branch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belmopan
More Belmopan Topics