We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Acton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Hi,

We are going to Belize in August for a week, and plan to spend 3-4 days in San Ignacio before moving on to Ambergis Caye. We are experienced travelers and rented a car in Costa Rica, although found that very expensive in retrospect.

I'm finding some nice jungle lodges with a pools and A/C (we think we want?) that are reasonably priced, but when we add in trips to Caracol and ATM,along with being picked up at BZE (stopping at the zoo) and driven to the water taxi, the price seems quite high. The package includes meals --we would like to eat authentic food but are not huge foodies and usually try so save some money on food.

Do people think it is worth it to stay at one of these lodges with everything included? Or, would it be more economical for us to stay closer to town (with more food options) and do our tours and transportation a la carte? If so, any recommendations on good places to stay for access to ATM and Caracol? We also like to hike/canoe, etc. Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Curious, which jungle lodges with a/c? Very few have. Packages can be very good value for the money; others not. I would have to take a look to comment. You can rent a car and save $ on transfers and tours. If remote, you would have your meals on site. If close to or in town, you have options. I rarely want to leave the lodge for dinner in town, I'm just too comfortable to move and I prefer the ambiance

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Whether or not they are worth it depends upon your budget and the experience you are looking for. When we went as a family two years ago, I wanted to keep costs down, but still do a lot of tours. Staying in the jungle or having luxurious accommodations weren't priority for us, but pool, A/C, and separate bedrooms were. We ended up staying at Cahal Pech in San Ignacio. The room was nothing great, but comfortable. We could have easily taxied into town for dinner, but we found the restaurant to be quite good.

Acton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Thank you! I am looking at either Mariposa Lodge or Table Rock Lodge. Mariposa has air conditioning, but I'm worried on the days where we don't do tours we might feel "trapped." Table Rock has hiking trails nearby and canoes to use, but no A/C (or hairdryer use), and maybe a bit pricier? I'm trying to figure out which is closer to ruins (Caracol?). I think we can do ATM on our way back to San Pedro. I agree if we stay in one of these lodges and don't rent a car we probably will end up eating all of our meals at the lodge, which is fine.

Edited: 12 April 2017, 22:43
Acton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

Also, thanks for the suggestion for Cahal Pech..I'm looking at it. Any recommendaitons for hotels near San Pedro where we can use kayaks for free to snorkel/bike to town? Good pool and views? Thank you!

5. Re: Family with teens. Jungle packages worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2018, 14:18