We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

Meg Griffiths, our island kitesurf instructor, just got to Belize City today. She took the new ADO bus and sent this report:

“The bus service was great.

It leaves Cancun just before 11, stopping in Playa Del Carmen and Tulum.

I left Playa at 1140 and was in Belize City by 0800 this morning. We reached the border around 4 and got through very quickly, as you would expect there aren’t many people heading through at 0400! I slept well, the seats are more comfortable than most planes and recline a lot further! Woke up just as we pulled into BC bus station and jumped straight in a taxi, the journey couldn’t have been more simple.

I flew direct to Cancun from Manchester in the UK, a number of companies make direct flights, just 9 hrs all during the day. Really straight forward, and a chance for a brief stop over in Mexico, this new ADO service makes the entire journey very easy and stress free!”

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
1. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

Tell Meg thanks! I'll be forwarding this to friends that have extra time, and want to save by flying into Cancun, and playing in Playa for a few days before heading down.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

The Merida ADO service is very good for anyone wanting a couple of days in this lovely city - a perfect combination holiday if you have time.

Jacksonville Beach...
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

I am about to make this route. Where can I find information about scheduled or getting a ticket? Does the bus leave from the airport?

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
4. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

As I understand, you must first go from the airport to the bus terminal in Cancun. Then get the express bus to BC.

Departs Cancun bus terminal at 10:15 pm

The fare to BC is MX$474 (that's pesos).

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
5. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

There is an ADO website and another one called ticketbus, but I don't know if the sites have been updated.

http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

Edited: 15 November 2011, 15:22
Morristown, Arizona
3 posts
6. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

Is it very difficult to get from airport to bus terminal? Do you recommend buying tickets in advance? I tried getting ticket info on the website but it just kept saying no routes for that day.

Thanks!

Fairview, TN
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

Did you figure anything out for purchasing tickets in advance? We are making a similar trip and haven't had any luck purchasing in advance.

Edited: 28 November 2011, 01:02
Rocky Mountain...
2 posts
8. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

We just took a similar route this week. Did not know about coming all the way but took the bus from Cancun airport to playa for the night.

Caught the Chetumal bus the next day (express one stop).

We met and befriended some expat friends on the bus and shared a transfer across that they had arranged.

At Cancun airport just head to the transportation area, there is an ADO desk and they will set you up.

CUN to Playa 110 pesos, Playa to Chetumal 230 pesos.

We are headed to San Igncio on Saturday but will try to do the ADO back to Cancun Tues/Wed

Dont worry about advance purchase of tickets, i couldnt figure it out but it all worked ok

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
9. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

It's very easy to get from the airport in Cancun to the downtown Cancun bus station (or the bus to Playa, where you can connect to buses to Chetumal).

When you exit the terminal (the new one - terminal 3?) - the buses to the airport are all the way to the right when you're on the sidewalk with the terminal behind you. There is a ticket window inside the terminal - if someone is there, buy a ticket to downtown Cancun (not sure if they can ticket you to Belize City). Otherwise, a few minutes before the bus arrives, someone in a red Tshirt will arrive to sell tickets.

keep in mind that there are a lot of overly helpful individuals in the arrivals area of the airport. A lot of these are timeshare salespeople and they can be aggressive. I keep walking until I pass them, and get to the counters where you eventually see one for ADO. It's better to ask someone at one of these counters where you get the ADO bus then to ask anyone standing around the airport in a white dress shirt and black slacks. There is also an information counter.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 29 November 2011, 07:42
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: Cancun to Belize City ADO bus firsthand report

oh - unless you're traveling on Christmas or Easter or another major holiday, you probably dont need to worry about advance tickets - but Im usually taking buses to places with frequent service -and there's always another bus. For the more limited service to Belize, you may want to reserve in advance, if you can. Ive only used Ticketbus to check schedules - not sure how well the booking agent works.